Compool LX 3600 Help - Electrical Short - New System or Easy Fix?

BrandtlyG

Sep 23, 2022
Coppell, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm so glad I found this forum! I have a Compool LX3600 system. Everything stopped working and I had someone come out to look at it and the power side had a short (or was fried). The pool tech told me I need to just get a whole new system $2200 which is out of budget. He didn't run any tests, he just saw the part that was fried and said I need to get a new system because it's so old.

The board is pretty old, but I don't have a problem with upgrading it myself to save $$ and/or replacing the shorted part. Looks like it needs new wires because they are cracking, which I can replace. I'm not sure what that area is called or those pieces, but I'm handy and can mimic the configuration if I have new parts.
Any advice on this? When this happens does the whole system need replacing? After reading the forum and prepping to spend thousands, it sounds like an easytouch upgrade may be an option?

My pool light (when it was colder) would only come on when it got cold (or vice versa). Not sure if that has to do with the board or the wires to and from the light. The spa light works fine. Also, my remote side controller hasn't worked nor can I operate the blower for the spa (I think that's just from old age).

I did have an issue on the board side when I had a new heater put in last year. The large connector (bottom right) has thick wires on it, so every time I closed the door it would pop off. My old Pool guy retired after he put it in. He couldn't figure out why it wasn't working - I ended up figuring it out. Should those two yellow wires be so thick that they don't easily bend? It didn't seem to make sense the way the door closes.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• Short 2.png
    Short 2.png
    87 KB · Views: 36
  • Short 1.png
    Short 1.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Short 3.png
    Short 3.png
    150.2 KB · Views: 29
B,

I suspect there is nothing wrong with the main card. The damaged part is just place where wires are connected together.. Kind of like a terminal strip.
Edit.. actually more like a load center bus bar that is under the circuit breaker. Maybe not... :mrgreen:

I would assume that the damaged part should just keep one piece of equipment from working.

What happens when you turn things on? What works now and what does not work?

Upgrading to the EasyTouch would be great, but that just replaces the electronics. You still have the use the same terminal connects and old relays.

Thanks

Jim R.

Last edited:
B,

Does your system actually pop a breaker?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for responding and the link to the manual. It didn't pop the breaker. The spa pump turns on. The pool pump, booster pump, and Heater do not have power. Looking more closely, one of the wires on the right side (near the burn spot) isn't connected. Not sure if that was due to the short or it's the cause. I think they are all being used (they are all connected to the motherboard (FLTR & AUX 1 - 5). Here's a better view. In replacing those, do you know if it's possible to replace just the white piece or is it all one unit (with the relay)?

Thanks again,

Brandt

Attachments

• Shot 4.png
    Shot 4.png
    176.5 KB · Views: 16
I count at least 4 things on the same circuit (compool, filter pump, cleaner aux. If you have a short in that circuit it will trip the breaker and nothing on that circuit will work.
Thanks for the reply and including the image of what I need! I added another picture to Jim's response for a better view. I'll start with that piece and re-connect. You guys have helped me out tremendously!

B,

Your current system has six relays. Are you actually using all six?. If so, what are they being used for.

Pump/Filter]
Aux 1
Aux 2
Aux 3
Aux 4
Aux 5

I guess my point is that it might make sense to just abandon one.. Depending on what they all do.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
B,

Your current system has six relays. Are you actually using all six?. If so, what are they being used for.

Pump/Filter]
Aux 1
Aux 2
Aux 3
Aux 4
Aux 5

I guess my point is that it might make sense to just abandon one.. Depending on what they all do.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Here are the button labels (picture attached).

Attachments

• Short 5.png
    Short 5.png
    167.6 KB · Views: 11
Connect the SPA light and POOL light together on one relay and it frees up one.

Reactions: Poolbreh
Here you go. I bought some new wiring and connected everything back up, but the status is the same (lights on the front panel come on if I hit the buttons, but the main pump doesn't get any power), so I'm guessing it may have blown that relay. Agreed? My local pool place has a relay, but they don't have the hardware side (white piece). It's available online, but would it be safe to say I can directly connect those wires for the section that's burnt/broken? Looks like that connector is there just to keep it organized. Thanks!

Attachments

• Short 5.png
    Short 5.png
    167.6 KB · Views: 1
I may need a little more advice.

I figured out that the connections weren't in the order I originally provided.

FLTR = Main Pump / 3rd (shorted & burnt) Relay (not working) - REMOVED
AUX 1 = Cleaner / 2nd Relay (not working)
AUX 2 = Spa Low / 1st Relay (works)
AUX 3 = Pool Light 4th Relay(works, but not all the time)
AUX 4 = Spa Light 5th Relay (works)
AUX 5 = Blower 6th Relay (works)

I pulled the shorted relay, but I couldn't figure out how to connect both lights to a single relay because they were using a jumper before. I don't have a problem getting another relay if needed, but I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to re-wire things. I lost track of one wire in the process and have been spending my entire weekend trying to figure it out.

From the top down on the relay side here's where I am:

The 1st (top) relay (Spa Low)/AUX 2 is good. Independent / no jumpers.

The 2nd Relay (Cleaner)/AUX1 isn't working.
- Line 1 (red) was connected (jumper wire) to the FLTR Relay Load 1 (red wires) Fltr Load 1 also goes out to the Pump and the Heater (this should be correct)
- Line 2 (blk) was connected (jumper wire) to FLTR Relay Load 2 (black wires) - I think this also goes to the pump.
- Load 1 (red) untouched
- Load 2 (blk) untouched

The 3rd Relay is gone so this is now the 4th Relay (previously AUX4 / Spa Light) which is now plugged into the motherboard FLTR spot.
- Line 1 (red) (Pretty sure this is reconnected right)
- Line 2 (blk) I'm not sure what to connect here - does this come in from power black?
- Load 1 (red) jumper to line 1 (cleaner/2nd relay) and also goes out to equipment (heater and filter...maybe cleaner too?)
- Load 2 (blk) jumper to line 2 (cleaner/2nd relay) - and connects to another red set of wires (pretty sure this is reconnected right)

PREVIOUSLY Relay 4 before the swap (Pool light/AUX3)
Line 1 was jumpered to Line 1 Spa light/aux 4
Load 1 went out to GFI

Relay 5 (Spa light/AUX 4)
Not sure how to connect this
Line 1 was jumpered to Line 1 Spa light (relay no longer avail)
Load 1 goes out to GFI

Relay 6 (blower/AUX5) works. Independent / no jumpers

My GFI will not reset either, so I'm thinking something is not connected correctly.

I appreciate all the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.