Completely lost and need help with my in-laws pool!

Jun 16, 2016
Williamson, Ga
Hey y’all! Ok, so I am taking over my in laws pool maintenance since they don’t know how to and need some help since I am clueless.

Father in law completely drained the pool. I will be going over and scrubbing the sides and bottom and then put the hose in to fill. I bought 10 gallons to have on hand of liquid chlorine. Father in law **guesses** the pool is 13,000 gallons. I believe it’s a 24 ft - above ground pool. I have no clue how many gallons it holds.

I guess my question is, what do I need to add to the pool once it’s filled other than the liquid chlorine? And how to maintain? I want to do this for them bc the pretty sparkly blue only lasts a couple weeks with them once they open it every year. HELP ME.

Are you able to visit this pool every other day or so to test and adjust? If not, they will need their own test kit and learn how to maintain their own pool. You can help them get started by going though a full test, printing out the FC/CYA chart, etc.

Since this is going to be a new fill, you should test the fill water and be ready to adjust the levels from that.
If it's a 24' above ground pool it probably holds about 13,000 gallons of water. That's what ours holds.

Is the pool going to be filled from public water or a well?
Do you know if the water has metals in it?

If you'll list the results you get here we can help you figure out what you need to do to begin with.
pH:
FC:
TA:
CH:

There won't be any CYA in the water, so you'll need to add some as soon as it's full and you can circulate the water.
While filling I'd add a couple of cups of bleach each day until it's full. I'd add it at dark if you can to keep the sun from burning it off immediately.

I actually live about 5 min from them so I will be able to go over everyday and maintain.
Pool is filling now, it’s public water no well. He says he has a kit but I’m not sure how good it is so I’ll have to find that out later. I went ahead and added a gallon of liquid chlorine today while it’s filling and will check on the pool again tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.