Completely at a loss... Murky Dark to Mint Green

mandyzdandy06 said:
Richard how much would you recommend? I kind of thought I'd do it in spurts of about 4 gallons.
I don't recommend. I let the Pool Calculator do it.

If you plug in you pool's volume, and all your readings, and down near the bottom select bleach/plaster/TFP, it will show the recommended FC shock level for your CYA level. Plug that into the target box for FC and what strength the bleach is and it will tell you how many ounces to add at once.

But you'll need to know something better than 20-25,000 as the volume. And you'll need an accurate CYA reading. It's all in Pool School and turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html, so I'm not going to explain it anymore. Too much typing.

I have not yet addressed the CYA level. I have scooped out the majority of the muck on the bottom of the pool. I know there is some left in there but I wanted to wait till the water was a little clearer so I could see what parts needed manual attention before I put in the vacuum. The skimmer is working fine the floating leaves/petals are just a constant battle. We are surrounded by trees and this is after an hour of skimming by hand with a leaf net.

I hope to get a solar powered skimmer. It's save my back a lot of strain.

So I am hearing different suggestions. 12 gallons is way to much chlorine at once and that it isn't nearly enough.

It is too much at once, but not enough to turn your pool into a sparkly oasis. Once you read shocking your pool in pool school you'll understand that shocking is a process, that may take several days or longer. During that time you will have to maintain the FC level in your pool. That means adding chlorine whenever the level drops below your target chlorine level for the shocking process.

You may need 50 gallons of bleach ... but certainly not all at the same time.

The link Richard just posted "swamp to oasis" is a great How-To. Read it and the rest of Pool School and then learn to use the poolcalculator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.