Completed Pool - Should Water Be Touching The Coping?

mezastoned

Dec 1, 2023
Florida
We recently had travertine installed and our pool redone. However, one corner of the pool, where our spa is, looks poor. The corner is lower so the water comes up to the coping. Yet on the sides of the spa, the water is around 1/2” below the coping.

Meanwhile, our contractor is stating it’s not an issue and that our pool wasn’t level to begin with. (Which is total BS).

My question is: Is it okay for the water to be touching the coping? Is this considered a poorly done job?

Thank you for your responses.IMG_4384.jpegIMG_4382.jpegIMG_4383.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
M,

You never want the water to touch the coping...

What all did the contractor do.. ???

The water should be in the middle of the skimmer opening and should be level around the whole pool.

Unless the contractor did some real structural work, I would have to assume the pool was never level.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Bperry
Given the height of the water when spillover is active, you'll want to schedule spillover as little as possible.

Don't use a make-up line or an offset-cammed actuator to run it 24/7. There are also additional reasons you don't want that.

Depending on what your contractor agreed to, he either is or is not responsible for the finished result being out of level. We don't know what the scope of work was, or what he had to work with.

M,

You never want the water to touch the coping...

What all did the contractor do.. ???

The water should be in the middle of the skimmer opening and should be level around the whole pool.

Unless the contractor did some real structural work, I would have to assume the pool was never level.

Thanks,

Jim R.
The contractor added limerick/sand, then laid travertine over our current patio which makes his point of the pool not being level completely baseless.

Regarding the water touching the coping, it definitely doesn’t look right being uneven with the rest of the jacuzzi. But can we expect problem years later?

Given the height of the water when spillover is active, you'll want to schedule spillover as little as possible.

Don't use a make-up line or an offset-cammed actuator to run it 24/7. There are also additional reasons you don't want that.

Depending on what your contractor agreed to, he either is or is not responsible for the finished result being out of level. We don't know what the scope of work was, or what he had to work with.
Contractor handled the pool and travertine. Am I wrong to assume it be their responsibility to ensure the coping is level around the pool, right?

He’s definitely fighting me on it because fixing it would mean pulling a large section of travertine up to ensure it’s graded properly, then leveling the tiling and adding a patch for the diamond bright.

If he didn't do the tile and the water was level before, then he didn't level the decking/coping properly. I have to say, though, it looks like the water isn't level with the tile which would have been the case before the work was done. He could have done a better job levelling the decking/coping but it does look like it was not level beforehand.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.