Complete with Refill Am I ready to SLAM?

Clarity is looking great today, I cannot imagine the water getting much clearer than it is. I can see the screw heads in the floor drain & can see the detail of the plaster granules in all but the deepest end. I have discoverd that with my plaster being tan and having green quartz in it to boot that my water color will always have a green hue.
FC last night & this morning was at 25 with no CC. I am considering running the OCLT tonight so I can begin to let the FC drift down so i can get the rest of my chemical into balance. If not tonight I really believe I will get there before the weekend.
If I pass the OCLT, what order should I address the rest of the balance?

I am thinking
1. PH
2. TA
3. CH
4. Borates

IMG_1561.jpg
IMG_1562.jpg
IMG_1563.jpg

Wonderful news! Once you pass the OCLT, simply allow the FC to drift down on its own to the proper target level. If you get a lot of sun on the pool, you can maintain a couple ppm over the target to be safe. Once the FC drifts down under 10, check the pH and adjust that as recommended (in the mid-7s). CH will be next, but let us know what you get on that test. If it's close to your target range, and your local water is already hard, you might just let the hose water increase it over time. If not, then you can use the recommended chemicals to raise it last. Great work!

Passed the OCLT last night. Zero loss of FC and Zero CC.

I will run a full test once the FC drops below 10 and post those and await advice. I know the 1st step is to stabilize the PH at 7.5 & I am sure there is a methodical sequence of events to adjusting everything else.
I have all of the suggested quantities of chemicals on hand that are recommended by Pool Math to reach my target #'s so as soon as the FC drops, I am ready to get this thing balanced out just in time for the warmer weather. (Water temp at 72 last night so there is no time to waste :cool:)

We plan to continue with aggressive daily brushing while the FC is dropping just to make sure we have everything knocked off.

The photos below were taken at 1st light this morning. Not much different than last night's photos but thought I would include anyway.

IMG_1564.jpg
IMG_1565.jpg
IMG_1566.jpg

Congratulations! :party: Now just let that FC drift back down on its own. Once it gets below 10, you can test your pH (and anything else needed) and go from there. Always watch your FC/CYA relationship to make sure they match and you'll be fine. Have a great day and swimming season.

Clarity is looking great today, I cannot imagine the water getting much clearer than it is. I can see the screw heads in the floor drain & can see the detail of the plaster granules in all but the deepest end. I have discoverd that with my plaster being tan and having green quartz in it to boot that my water color will always have a green hue.
FC last night & this morning was at 25 with no CC. I am considering running the OCLT tonight so I can begin to let the FC drift down so i can get the rest of my chemical into balance. If not tonight I really believe I will get there before the weekend.
If I pass the OCLT, what order should I address the rest of the balance?

I am thinking
1. PH
2. TA
3. CH
4. Borates
Concentrate on keeping track of FC & pH.

Five days ago you posted this:
FC - 26
CC - 0
CH - 175
TA - 70
CYA - 55
PH - 7.6

The TA is fine. We generally don't recommend chasing a "perfect" TA number anyway.

CH is a little low I would bring it up to about 250. Test your fill water so we can get an idea if your CH will go up gradually on it's own.

Borates are an optional item. Personally, I don't like to see pool owners messing with borates until they have a solid year under their belt handling the pool without the added dimension of borates. Plus, do you have animals (dogs/cats). Borates are really not good for them if they drink from the pool.

... I know the 1st step is to stabilize the PH at 7.5 ...

Let's dispel this bit of pool industry nonsense.

Your pH should be adjusted to a value where it is the most stable (over time), not to a specific pH value. This stable pH value depends a lot on TA, aeration & outgassing of CO2 and evaporation. There is no "right" pH value. Anything between 7.2-7.8 is perfectly acceptable.

So, based on where I keep my TA, my pool pH tends to stabilize at 7.7. It will hang at that number for days on end, even during the hot swim season, and not budge. I only adjust it downwards when it goes up to 8 and then I only add enough acid to bring it down to 7.6. Going any lower than that is a waste of acid and time as my pH will not stay artificially low. Another persons pool might hang down at 7.4 and be stable. For both pools, those pH values are totally acceptable.

The industry tends to push a myth that you need to have an exact pH and TA number with the TA number being excessively high (80-120ppm) and this leads to constantly increasing pH. Pool owners then try to over correct by adding excessive amounts of acid to get to some magical pH value (like 7.4) which forces the pH too low and actually drives it back up faster. Then the TA gets consumed from the excessive acid use and the entire cycle repeats itself. The pool owner is then left on a yo-yo of constantly chasing pH while adding acid and baking soda.

Post your numbers in a few days and we'll keep you off the pH roller coaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Let's dispel this bit of pool industry nonsense.

Your pH should be adjusted to a value where it is the most stable (over time), not to a specific pH value. This stable pH value depends a lot on TA, aeration & outgassing of CO2 and evaporation. There is no "right" pH value. Anything between 7.2-7.8 is perfectly acceptable.

So, based on where I keep my TA, my pool pH tends to stabilize at 7.7. It will hang at that number for days on end, even during the hot swim season, and not budge. I only adjust it downwards when it goes up to 8 and then I only add enough acid to bring it down to 7.6. Going any lower than that is a waste of acid and time as my pH will not stay artificially low. Another persons pool might hang down at 7.4 and be stable. For both pools, those pH values are totally acceptable.

The industry tends to push a myth that you need to have an exact pH and TA number with the TA number being excessively high (80-120ppm) and this leads to constantly increasing pH. Pool owners then try to over correct by adding excessive amounts of acid to get to some magical pH value (like 7.4) which forces the pH too low and actually drives it back up faster. Then the TA gets consumed from the excessive acid use and the entire cycle repeats itself. The pool owner is then left on a yo-yo of constantly chasing pH while adding acid and baking soda.

Post your numbers in a few days and we'll keep you off the pH roller coaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
:goodpost:

I know my pool likes to hang at 7.7 also, but only if my TA is in the 50-60 range.

As Matt says, every pool is a little different and you need to learn you pool.

The pool store "magic numbers" make for more work for you and more sales for them.

Got it, I just need to let it find it's 'happy place' as long as that is within the limits.

I am basing my target numbers off the Pool Math Calculations and have played with the goal numbers to get the CSI as close to Zero or slightly negative. Looks like I should allow the PH to find it's natural balance then adjust to get the desired CSI from there. Am I overthinking this and giving too much credence to the CSI value??

I have brushed / scrubbed & filtered out a LOT of plaster granules during this shock process. The amount makes me a tad uncomfortable. I wish I had somehow saved all of it but I would guess what has come out of the filter over the past month would more than fill a gallon bucket. I know this was due to neglect from the previous owner but want to make sure I do every single thing possible from this point forward to prevent that from happening again. Getting that stuff out has been a long miserable process. Not to mention potentially reducing the life of the plaster. (and a replacement pool brush, I have worn one completely out during this process :eek:)

Thought I might mention something. I have never been inside of a pool store & intend to keep it that way, I am just not a fan of swimming with sharks ;-). Between the advice I get here and Amazon I think that goal is attainable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I take my kids to the pool store and let them pick out one fun pool toy at the beginning of the season. I'll occasionally go in for maintenance stuff like o-rings and such ONLY IF I can't find them at ACE Hardware. Other than that, that's about it.

My wife just called and is all kinds of excited about how great the pool looks in the bright sunlight. I am sure the photo she sent does not do it justice.

By the way, no dogs, cats or any other animals are permitted to enter or live in my screened enclosure... Every effort is made to keep this as a 'Human Only Zone'. so no worries on the toxicity of the borates; however, I will heed the advice and make sure everything is under full control before even considering that step.

2016-02-25 10.21.20.jpg

I am basing my target numbers off the Pool Math Calculations and have played with the goal numbers to get the CSI as close to Zero or slightly negative. Looks like I should allow the PH to find it's natural balance then adjust to get the desired CSI from there. Am I overthinking this and giving too much credence to the CSI value??

Thought I might mention something. I have never been inside of a pool store & intend to keep it that way, I am just not a fan of swimming with sharks ;-). Between the advice I get here and Amazon I think that goal is attainable.

While I wouldn't say CSI is overrated, if you stay within our recommendations you generally will have no problems.

I enjoy a visit to the pool store at times for the entertainment value. I let them test my water and even make recommendations. I just say great, i have all of that at home!

1st Time I have seen the pool in the daylight in almost a week. I think the clarity is strting starting to look pretty good! :D
I tried to tell all of you to just patient, right? ;) All you you had to do was listen to me. :cool:
Really though, thanks for all of the encouragement in helping me get started. I would not have made it without you & probably would have become another pool store retirement fund contributor.

The photos below do not do this justice but I just have to share these.

IMG_1580.jpg
IMG_1570.jpg
IMG_1577.jpg
IMG_1572.jpg

I am soooo sorry to inform you of this, but there's a problem .... Your pool has a really bad case of sparkilipoolitis. It's a problem because your pool will never again contribute to the wealth of the local pool shop. There is no cure unfortunately. Please send our condolences to the local pool shop.

This morning's Test Results

FC - 9
CC - 0
CH - 150
TA - 70
CYA - 50
PH - 7.8
CH of fill water - 100

Now that the FC is below 10 I think I am ready to tweak th PH down a little. The question is to what target? I am thinking add 24 oz Muriatic to get it to 7.6 then see were it wants to be from there. Is that a good approach?? I don't know the significange, but the PH has been creeping up as the FC has been falling.

Once the PH is stable, what is the next thing to go after? I assume CH?

Also, should I continue to run the filter 24/7 until everything is stabilized?

Side note: The pollen is REDICULOUS here this spring. It's like green snow. Anything noteable I need to do there or just let the filter do it,s job?

I cannot believe it but the clarity continues to improve daily.

IMG_1583.jpg
IMG_1590.jpg
IMG_1585.jpg

pH and CH are not mutually exclusive, so you can work on both at the same time. I like your thought to bring it down to 7.6 and see how it stabilizes. Also, as you bring it down with acid the TA will slowly come dosn also. Dont be in any rush to raise the TA back up as some pools like TA a tad lower.

You may want to look at skimmer socks to grab the pollen before it gets to the filter. Your screen enclosure should keep the big stuff out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.