Complete Equipment Rebuild

With the spa in play, I think you need to be considering either a Whisperflo or Super II 1HP 2-speed or the Intelliflo VS or Ecostar VS. The smaller Hayward VS pumps I am not sure are up to the task.

The bigger VS pump are certainly more power than you need, but you can tailor the flow for the spa and run at lower speeds than the 2-speed pumps. But, they are expensive.

Likely looking at $550 for a comparable 2-speed vs. $850-$150 = $700 for the VS pumps.

For the extra $150, the flexibility might be worth it, but it will take a few years likely to save that extra cost in power savings vs. the 2-speed.

Sorry for the late reply, we are in full nesting mode with our daughter being due in three weeks :)

Is there one pump out of Intelliflo (VS or VS3050 btw?) and Ecostar that you would reccomend over the other? Both have not exactly overwhelming reviews on amazon... Also, do you have a model number for the Super II? I can only seem to find the single speed model...

Are the smaller Hayward VS pumps weaker than what I currently have installed?

PhxSun said:
Are the smaller Hayward VS pumps weaker than what I currently have installed?
Yes, it appears your current pump is a 1 hp full-rated challenger pump, both smaller hayward vs pumps will move less water than your current pump.

PhxSun said:
Also, do you have a model number for the Super II? I can only seem to find the single speed model...
SP3010X152AZ

Thanks for letting me know what kinda pump I have :p
Thanks for the model number, the Super II looks like a very decent pump from what I, with my limited knowledge, can tell. Just that there is no 1hp version, only a 1 1/2, 2 and 2 1/2.

I like the point about being more flexible by spending $150 more on a VS. Will I ever make use of it is the question. Hmmm
Assuming the price difference doesn't matter, which pump would you get for yourself (considering my pool of course)?

For the super II, basically the 1.5 hp is an uprated pump which is equal to a 1 hp full-rated pump, so the model number I gave you is a 1 hp full-rated, though they refer to it as a 1.5 hp up-rated. Confused?...marketing folks are good at that.

linen said:
For the super II, basically the 1.5 hp is an uprated pump which is equal to a 1 hp full-rated pump, so the model number I gave you is a 1 hp full-rated, though they refer to it as a 1.5 hp up-rated. Confused?...marketing folks are good at that.

Hehe, yeah seems like it.
Is there any reason why you would chose the Intelliflo over the Ecostar and vice versa?
Also if I go with the Super II, can I set the rpm of the two speeds or are they fixed? Would be interesting to know if it would make sense to get the 2hp so I have some more headroom once I decide to install a dedicated suction line for the cleaner. And if I could set the max rpm to lower until I have the extra line.

PhxSun said:
Is there any reason why you would chose the Intelliflo over the Ecostar and vice versa?
I haven't worked hands-on with either, but warranty (getting 3 pieces of equipment from same manufacturer can sometimes extend the warranty) and automation seem to be typical reasons to choose one verses the other.

Do I need to use an automation system? I thought there was a timer on the pumps directly. The more I read the more confused I get :?

Right now I have this old-school mechanical dial.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
Automation can also include turning on/off swgs, heaters, etc. If you just need timer functionality, you will be fine with either.

Ok cool thanks. So this could always be added later on if I wanted to.

Just to be sure that I can actually use a 230V pump, how would I find out if I have 230V supplied? If I read the label of my old pump correctly it is a 115V that can be wired as a 208-230V pump right? I am at home right now so could take photos if that would help.

edit: If we were not to use the Spa would the 2600VS be sufficient? (We were thinking about filling it up or just making it a seating area with a table when we re-plaster in 2-3 years since we don't have a heater atm.

Regarding the voltage; I have two mechanical timers, I think one must have been for the heater. Could I just take the power supply from the one that was for the heater to achieve 220V?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.