Come on in, the water is fine!

Hi All,

Upon advice, today I went and purchased Muriatic acid (by the way it doesn't say anywhere on it what the concentration is). I also picked up a PH/CL test kit from Walmart (thanks kimkat). Interestingly enough, when I came home and tested the water, the PH was doing very well at 7.6 so I don't see the need to use the acid at this time. I still won't have my Taylor test kit until tomorrow, so for now I used another dip-strip. The strip confirmed the lower PH, and the TA and stabilizer were in normal ranges. The only thing that is still off is the Free Chlorine which is off the chart on both the strip and the new chlorine kit. Can someone confirm that "Stabilizer" on the test strip is the same thing as CYA? The strip read normal in the 30-50 range for stabilizer. And if this is in fact CYA, based on the Chlorine/CYA chart it seems that 12-20 is the unsafe (shock number) that the chlorine should be. So I am assuming that the water is safe for swimming at the moment? I don't need to swim today, but I would love to get in there and do some sweeping/brushing on my plaster. Love some feedback. Thanks.

Steve

Yes, stabilizer is CYA. You are correct on leaving the PH alone at 7.6. You've got the shock levels correct for that CYA.

That is the problem with test strips. They get us every time! Can't wait for you to get the kit tomorrow!

Definitely take a swim!

Make sure to not wear a suit you like in your pool right now.

I am glad you go the little test kit. It put me at ease for your plaster! LOL

Brushing inside the pool is SO much easier. Use care and shower off real good when you get out.

I bet that pool KNEW you were getting the acid and the test kit so it thought it better behave! LOL (I do some IT at the school I teach at. It seems that everytime someone asks me to look at their computer or printer it works just fine when I walk in the room! They all say it knew I was on the way! LOL)

Kim

Kim - I actually just spent a good amount of time vacuuming from above. Haven't gone in yet, but it's looking so inviting! My 2.5 year old son REALLY wants to go in, and if I go in he'll cry if he can't come in, and I think for now it's best to wait and get a good reading and adjust any levels as needed before letting him in. Good advice about the clothes. I guess another reason why not to go in yet.

And yeah I know what you mean about working when you are looking! ha, classic.

This forum is incredible. I've learned so much in the past 48 hours and it's in thanks to everyone on here.

Awwwwwwww 2.5 yr old???? You better NOT get in where he can see you! You will NEVER hear the end of it! LOL "I WANT TO SWIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Steve, There is SO much info here at TFP pool. What you cannot find on your own just ask and someone will know the answer. NO question is too small or dumb. With a pool there is truly NO dumb question.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Kim,

This test kit is awesome! The directions also come off a bit more intimidating than actually doing it. It's pretty simple. I'm so glad everyone recommended such a great kit. My readings below:

FC = 9.5
PH = 7.6
TA = 90
CYA = 35
CH = 160*

*I'm not 100% sure I nailed it on the CH test. It seemed like there were tons of little blue clots trying to break free, and when I felt the overall tint of water was blue, I stopped, but maybe I could have kept going a couple more drops?

As far as my FC level, should I add anything to lower this, or should I just let it burn off?

Also, do you recommend I do another CH test? Is this anything to really worry about?

Thanks.

Those numbers are great! So glad we didn't use the results from the other tests. Are you swimming yet? :paddle:

Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Always round CYA up to the next 10, the scale is not linear. Always keep you FC at or slightly above target. And never, ever let it drop below minimum or the pool will be unsanitary and algae will grow. It is safe to swim with FC between minimum and shock level. Yes, it really is safe to swim with CYA at 40 and FC at 15. We swam for hours every day for a week and a half with CYA 70 and FC 25ish. Kids had their eyes open no issues.

you need to work on getting CH up to 250.

Read these
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - PoolMath