Combined Chlorine questions

Jan 13, 2019
Longmont, CO
Yes, me again! Thanks for all the answers to my questions. Think I've about got it understood. But I'm not clear what if anything I can or should do about CC. This past Sunday, 5 days ago, I purged, cleaned, and refilled my tub and converted it to SWG. The first couple of days my CC reading was 0; since then it's consistently been 0.5. I've been using the tub daily. I read here that a non-zero CC is bad because it means I have organics in the tub. So here's my CC questions:
1) What is the target number for CC?
2) How do you achieve that, if you are off?
Thanks again for all the help!

Joe,

Do you open the cover to the sun two or three times a week for an hour or so???

It is not a TFP policy, but I don't worry about my hot tub CC unless they start staying at 1.5 or above..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I open it when I'm in it, which is generally first thing in the morning or after dark. So I don't imagine that counts. I also open it and leave it open if I'm adding chems and running the pumps to get the chems mixed in. With the SWG I plan to be using much less chemicals so hopefully there isn't much of that.

Are you saying that leaving it open to direct sunlight will burn off the CC?

Try to leave the cover off for awhile a couple times a week when the sun hits the surface of the spa water.

A CC of 0.5 is at the lowest detectable limit with your testing. So it is OK.

Yes. UltraViolet light is what burns off CC.
Does this mean that UV has more of a place in Spas than in pools? I've been working with pools for a few years, and recently started looking at Spas. As the Spa stores, when they mention UV or Ozone, my immediate reaction has been "no" knowing that in the pool UV makes your FC fight harder...

Does this mean that UV has more of a place in Spas than in pools? I've been working with pools for a few years, and recently started looking at Spas. As the Spa stores, when they mention UV or Ozone, my immediate reaction has been "no" knowing that in the pool UV makes your FC fight harder...
That is correct. Just like indoor pools. UV (though the systems they put in spas and most pools are weak) is needed to combat CC's. Even with that, some CC's still build up but with a spa, you drain it often enough it is not an issue.

I personally never had any luck with sunlight getting rid of cc's. I'm sure it works in the context of an outdoor pool, but in my spa, not so much.

The solution that I finally worked out is to just stop testing for it. My tap water tests out at 4 cc's fresh out of the pipes that I use to drink and bath, and cook with.

Iv'e read here on TFP that cc's can cause skin irritation, but that's never been an issue at my house. The most likely cause of skin irritation with spas is the presence of Pseudomonas bacterium due to insufficient sanitation. All the effort spa sellers put into trying to sell alternatives to chlorine isn't very helpful in this regard.

The way I see it, is that the problem with cc's is smell. People find the smell that you get in an indoor pool room (like at a hotel) to be unpleasant. The way to get rid of these smells is to add more chlorine, and then open the cover and let them evaporate, and get carried away in the wind.

That's my take on it anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I actually think we are saying the same thing... Keeping your FC up makes perfect sense to me, but if you never opened your cover to let them "evaporate" then they are still trapped.

Jim R.

As an added data point, I tested again last night and my CC had dropped on it's own during the day ... wasn't zero, but I think it was below 0.5 - doing the drop test the solution barely turned the palest shade of pink after adding the R-0003 reagent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.