Color of Chlorine

joe111

Jun 13, 2012
burlington, Ontario
good day everyone.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Just a quick question. whats is the color of pool chlorine? A dark yellow? Where as home bleach is a lighter yellow?

Can anyone take a photo of the chlorine they currently have in a jug?

I am asking because I thought pool chlorine was a darker yellow and very strong smell. the liquid chlorine i just purchased it watery and little to no smell.

please and thank you
joe

You run a test to verify your bleach strength: When you dilute the bleach in a ratio of 1 : 10000 with water that contains no chlorine, then the bleach percentage will show in ppm as FC.

E.g. 1 gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine added to 10000 gallons of water will increase FC by 12.5ppm.

On a smaller scale, you can add 10ml of your bleach (with a syringe) to 1 litre of distilled water. Mix well and take 10ml of this mixture and add to another litre of distilled water. Mix well and test FC on that.

Or 1ml of bleach diluted twice with 100ml distilled water. Probably still sufficiently precise for this purpose (especially if you have a 1ml syringe), and a more reasonable amount of distilled water.

You run a test to verify your bleach strength: When you dilute the bleach in a ratio of 1 : 10000 with water that contains no chlorine, then the bleach percentage will show in ppm as FC.

E.g. 1 gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine added to 10000 gallons of water will increase FC by 12.5ppm.

On a smaller scale, you can add 10ml of your bleach (with a syringe) to 1 litre of distilled water. Mix well and take 10ml of this mixture and add to another litre of distilled water. Mix well and test FC on that.

Or 1ml of bleach diluted twice with 100ml distilled water. Probably still sufficiently precise for this purpose (especially if you have a 1ml syringe), and a more reasonable amount of distilled water.
thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.