COLOR BLIND - dealing with issues - 1st time pool owner

Well, whether the pH is at 7.7, or more like 7.9...either way you add whatever amount of acid and then check it again in a few days. Then if it's 7.8 or geez maybe 8? Then you (or..whoever) will learn to round up or down to dose more or less. Each pool uses chems at different rates. You just don't want the pH getting way off. Stay in the 7s. If you have other concerns, like scaling, you'll adjust that, but that's when you've got the kit and a few rounds under your belt

Tabs out. K-2006 purchased. It took me 5 scoops of 03 to get it to turn pink. So I believe that is a .4ppm of FC. 2 drops on the CC test. So I am real low on chlorine. I followed the links on the Slam and on the Hlorune charts it says i need to get it to a minimum of 7 - ideal 12 of FC. How do I know how much bleach to use or start with? Small pool 8000 gals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the pool math utility at the top of the forum. Type in your Gallons at the top. In the FC Now column enter 0 and in the target enter 7. Enter the % bleach you plan to use (most is 8.25% or 6%) and it will tell you exactly how much to put in.

I followed the links on the Slam and on the Hlorune charts it says i need to get it to a minimum of 7 - ideal 12 of FC.

You need to know your CYA level in order to determine your SLAM FC level (or your normal maintenance FC level for that matter). It looks like you are assuming? a CYA level of 100 and the numbers you gave are your min and target assuming you have no algae. For SLAM'ing a pool with a CYA level of 100 your target FC level would be 39. Normally the fine folks on this forum don't recommend attempting a SLAM with a CYA level that high unless you really like spending lots of money on bleach.

After getting the k-2006 Leslie equivalent (which by the way is a ripoff at $88 with less than half the DPD powder) I did a CYA TEST. The black dot disappears at halfway up to 100. So CYA is out of control. I don't know what the last owners did to this pool. I think I am going to start with a clean slate by watering my lawn and refilling the pool. My water utility shoes that it will cost me about $60 to refill. That will be cheaper in the long run and I will know what's in there.

Is my thinking wrong?

I am also red-green colorblind but have figured out how to manage my TF-100 test kit. I actually think I can read the PH better than my wife/kids because I see shades more clearly. For the daily chlorine test, I fill both of my cylinders with 10ml of water and set them side by side so that I can compare the pink to the clear. Otherwise I struggle to tell when it turns clear.

You are fine watering your grass with your pool water. That is the best thing you can do right now to get your CYA under control.

The pucks you were using are what caused your CYA to go up. I am going to guess that you also used powder shock. That also has CYA in it.....so you can see how it got so high.

Drain and refill.

Do NOT drain the whole thing. Leave about a foot in the bottom. You don't want to mess up your liner or walls!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Rocky and Kim.

Rocky, great idea for the comparison.

Now that I know I can water the lawn what is the most economical way to get a couple of hundred feet of hose to reach the yard? It looks like my vacuum hose is about 30' or so, but will need more. Is there a good place to get cheap plastic hose to avoid the pool store?

Update on this post:

After getting the local pool stores equivalent to the Taylor K-2006 or TF-100 and "borrowing" my kids' eyes I have become accustomed and confident on the usage of this test kit even with my color blindness which is extreme.

If any color blind individual is hesitant shoot me a message. I didn't have to get the electronic meters like I thought I would.

I will update and add as time and life permit, but more importantly when I feel like I am more of an expert. I can tell you this I have probably used more reagents and chemicals than the average Joe during my learning curve. I still have a few questions to research and don't want to give erroneous info. Lol

This may be a little late, but there is a company that makes a set of glasses that boost color perception for color blind people. http://enchroma.com is the web site, and the testimonials are pretty striking. They are a little pricey, but may well be worth it to someone who can not see the full spectrum.

I'm not affiliated with this company in any way, just passing this along to anyone who may be interested.

This may be a little late, but there is a company that makes a set of glasses that boost color perception for color blind people. http://enchroma.com is the web site, and the testimonials are pretty striking. They are a little pricey, but may well be worth it to someone who can not see the full spectrum.

I'm not affiliated with this company in any way, just passing this along to anyone who may be interested.

I've been watching those and would really love to give them a shot. I want to try them out first and see how they would really help me in life. With the old OTO test kit I really needed them. Lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.