Coleman AGP - any good?

rj2222

Jun 11, 2012
Michigan
Looking to replace an old Intex, all I can find are Coleman above ground pools, but have no experience with them.

Are they any good? They look nice in the pictures :p

Looking at the Coleman Power Steel 18’ x 48” Round Above Ground Pool. Looks like it doesn't come with a skimmer basket though, guessing that's not a dealbreaker but my Intex had one whatever that's worth.

Last edited:
Ok, so no really major difference. Had good luck with this Intex but it's just finally wearing out in too many spots so need to replace it.
Should I be worried about the skimmer basket? Doesn't appear to come with one but maybe I'm just missing it or something in the product description.

Coleman’s are made by bestway - one of my sturdiest pools was a bestway & it had a skimmer. That was years ago so the materials could have changed a little.
You can always add/cut in a skimmer- many here have.

Reactions: rj2222
My intex had the hang over the wall type skimmer basket, and that seemed to work well. Wonder if I'll be able to reuse that? Just had to replace the Intex pump and skimmer basket a couple years ago so they're relatively new.
I'm too afraid to cut a whole in a pool though 😂

Had good luck with this Intex but it's just finally wearing out in too many spots so need to replace it.
I absolutely love all of these, but It's the downside to all of them. They are a bag full of water that shifts around and eventually rubs off any protective coatings at pinch points.

Search for threads that used rustolium (etc) to try to slow the demise. If I was going through the trouble of replacing one of these every few years, I'd spend half a weekend coating the snot out of the frame. I'd also treat the frame pieces like they were delicate and keep each one separate on the grass so they didn't scratch each other on my watch.

For me, my issue is more the liner finally giving up the ghost in too many spots, as well as the "sleeve" parts you slide the frame through are wearing out really bad. All the metal frame pieces are surprising in good shape still on mine somehow.
The amount of patches on my liner though is astonishing at this point 🤣

The amount of patches on my liner though is astonishing at this point 🤣
Yeah there is that too. With the frames not expected to last forever, most folks only get one liner change before the liner is discontinued. After that, there are only a few left and there aren't enough to be worthwhile to produce. Also, I imagine the company would probably be liable to some degree if they sold you a liner for an 8 year old frame.

But all that said, we put an inground in, and it took 2 full more years for the kids to be able to touch bottom at the neighbors above ground pool. As far as the kids were concerned, theirs was all deep end and mine was only half deep end.

My intex had the hang over the wall type skimmer basket, and that seemed to work well. Wonder if I'll be able to reuse that? Just had to replace the Intex pump and skimmer basket a couple years ago so they're relatively new.
I'm too afraid to cut a whole in a pool though 😂
It should work - you may need to use an adapter or something.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Basically it was a straight out switch,, i did buy few other connectors to make life easier.
The Intex 633T (2500gph) i bought was only $150 .I'm happy with it so far,, just realizing that there's more cartridge filter cleaning at the beginning of the season lol
Saying that you could go the other route and buy a sand filter, and there a little pricier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.