Coleman 21' Power Steel - Replace and improve

rgray107918

Apr 6, 2022
Alabama
Hello all,

I am hoping to get some links to some info. I have a 4 year old 21' Coleman Power Steel pool which I am taking down and replacing with a Coleman 22' Power Steel.
This is the pool I am installing:
Robot or human?

I am hoping to install the new pool, and improve in areas where I had problems with the 21'. Here is the equipment I have to work with:

-Intex 28651EG Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 16"
https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Krystal-Filter-12-inch-110-120V/dp/B077F5FK7H?th=1

-Intex 266699EG QS1200 Krystal Clear Salt water generator
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073S4XG46?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details&th=1

-Intex FBA_28001E Automatic pool vacuum
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GSPHSRO?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

I had been running two Intex over-wall skimmers, but I do not like them.

Here is what I would like to do, and where I would like to improve:

-Current pool setup is only on a tarp. I would like to surround with pebbles, mulch, etc to make weed whacking less stressful
-I would like to install Hayward through-wall skimmer
-I would like to make salt water generator work better. To be fair, I never really had my water wuality set well enough for the generator to do its job. I would only ever get about a week of clear water, then fight algae/cloudy/etc water.
-I previously used the provided clear flexible stock hoses. I want to hard pipe everything in, with valves, and easy access/repair/replacement in mind.

Right off the bat, if anyone can give a link to a good piping diagram I'd be thrilled. I must not be typing the right combination of words but I just can't find one. I would like to layout how I am going to hard pipe everything, with all the right valves, unions, access ports, etc. Maybe one doesn't exist, but if they are out there, I just can't find them. I know that all layouts will be slightly different depending on where the equipment is placed, but I know there is a logical way to order the components, place the valves, ports, etc. Something like this, but I just thre this together real quick, and I know there I things I don't know I need to include:
1649252581628.png
-I also know there are little snags along the way like getting GAME 400mm to 1 1/2" adapter, and getting whatever Intex-to-PVC adapters I need for hard piping.

If anyone is willing to take mercy on me and gift me some links to DIY projects or "specialty parts" or piping diagrams, I would be very grateful. I could scour the internet to find websites for all these things, but having help from a community that already knows the answers would be very helpful.

Thanks!!

That “vacuum” is not a suction side cleaner- it is a pressure side cleaner so it screws into a return jet. I have one & used it for years. It works on the venturi principle to propel it & gather debris in its belly. If you leave it hooked up all the time & only have one return jet, you would lose the “toilet bowl” effect for moving debris to your skimmer. So something to keep in mind. Also if you have a skimmer there is no need for a 2nd intake - you can either do away with it or make it a 2nd return jet.
There’s a kit that includes 2 Hayward return jets as well as the skimmer. If it is your intention to hard pipe or use regular above ground pool hoses this would eliminate some of the need for so many adapters. Also This way if u upgrade your equipment to standard above ground equipment in the future you’ll be ready to go!
I used that cleaner on my 33’ above ground pool before I got a robot & just made an adapter out of pvc fittings for it to screw into my standard return.

With such a large pool you may need to supplement w/ liquid chlorine along w/ the swg. Always manually dose with liquid chlorine 1st & then allow the swg to maintain & adjust as necessary. It’s been my experience that with the intex units (or any undersized swg) that you need to ride the upper level of cya to protect the fc from getting consumed by the sun ☀️ as it is produced so slowly overtime in small amounts - especially here in the south & in the dog days of summer FC/CYA Levels

That “vacuum” is not a suction side cleaner
Doh, I knew that. Like I said, I just threw that diagram together real quick. I meant to have that line labeled vacuum going to a picture of a hand vacuum. Is there any benefit to having two return jets instead of just one?.

Thanks for the tip on the SWG. I added the sand filter in the second year, the skimmers in the 3rd year, and the SWG in the 4th year. After the 4th season, the vertical supports on the pool started rusting through, so it sat unused last season and I'm upgrading this season. I didn't really give the pool or myself enough time to get used to the SWG before the pool was unsafe to use. I think it could do an OK job, if I were to get the water correct first.

The benefit of 2 returns is if u use a pressure side cleaner - then u have one for the cleaner & one for directing water to the skimmer or to hook a sprinkler up to.
There is no benefit of having 2 intakes on that pool with that size pump - the pump will only do so much regardless of how many intakes there are & the wide mouth skimmer is plenty. They come that way because of the tiny hoses they provide.
In my opinion it’s just another place for debris to clog or cause entrapment. You are better served eliminating it or making it a return jet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.