Cold weather pause.

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
We opened the pool early (live in Michigan). We had some great weather this week so I went ahead and heated the water and we swam. It was fun and worth it, but now we're going to get at least two weeks where the overnight temps will go into the low 30's. My water temp is at 80 degrees right now and the heater is shut off, but wondering about a couple things as I hold the pool for a few weeks.

I'm assuming that as long as I keep the pump going (VSP on 50%) there should be no risk of anything freezing.

I have a solar cover on the pool and I'm wondering what to do with the SWG. My chlorine is at 7ppm (50 cya). Should I just leave the SWG going? It's set at 50% and I leave the pump running 24/7 so I'm thinking I should dial it back to 25% so the chlorine doesn't get too high. Though, I don't see any real problem if the chlorine goes high. One or to sunny days with the solar cover of would take care of that. I am a little concerned about any affect the lower temp of the water will have on the SWG.

I've also been thinking about just putting the safety cover back on. Reason being is that I'm thinking of taking a road trip early May and the pool won't likely be used now for a month or even a bit more until the grandkids are out of school. I'm thinking with the safety cover on, the pool will stay cleaner and with the SWG on, it should stay algae free. Of course, the heater will remain off.

Appreciate any input.

I would re-cover if you're going to be gone and it won't be used before then anyway due to cold weather. I'd make sure the FC was up to snuff, even perhaps SLAM level, if you're worried.
A nighttime temp in the 30s means squat if the day time temps rise enough to keep the water temp above freezing.
The cell may not work, so I'd just turn it off since you're covering it.
That's what *I* would do. YMMV

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: pb4uswim
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.