Gproulx731

Jun 5, 2023
Salem, NH
Hey all, first time pool owner and first season being open. I made the mistake of thinking the PB would hold my hand through the balancing and testing process but he’s essentially long gone. I also made the mistake of going to the pool store like a deer in headlights and got taken deep. Finally got my test kit and ran my first test today here’s what I got:
pH 8.0 (this has been a battle all year I believe due to plaster still curing)
TA 90
CH 140-150
CYA 30
2ppm Free chlorine
0 Combined chlorine
I don’t have a solid routine and am kind of winging it. The weather hasn’t been great for a pool in New England so far this year so there’s days that pass and I don’t maintain anything. I know I need to get better. I have the SWG turned down to 2% because my last “quick” chlorine test was high a few days ago. My question is - should I buy stock in muriatic acid? I feel like every time I add 1/2 gal it drops the ph to a Normal level and the next day it is 8 again. What gives? Is it still just the plaster ? The first weekend my kids went in they got a rash because the ph was so high and now I’m nervous to let them in again. Also- what’s the deal with shock? The pool store I went to gave me the “shock and swim” 15 min stuff from Biogard, but that’s all I currently have. Thanks

Welcome to TFP.
Great work on your first test with the new test kit.
Your demand for acid is not unusual. Your TA is slightly high but not terrible. If you bring down the TA to 70 that will help slow the rise in pH. Have you read Managing pH and Total Alkalinity - Further Reading

You are at the very minimum for FC at 2ppm with a CYA of 30. Your target range should be 3-6ppm and truthfully, in the summer I would round on the high side of that range to account for higher bather load or very warm days.
However, since you have a SWCG, you really should increase your CYA to the 60-70 range to prevent your FC from burning off too quickly.

If your kids plan to swim, then test for pH and add MA if needed and wait 30 mins before they swim.

don’t use granular shock. Try to find liquid chlorine from Walmart or Home Depot. It is called Pool Essentials. That helps raise your FC quickly rather than boosting your SWCG. However. Your SWCG should be set to replace daily what FC loss you are having. Try not to get in the cycle of settin it low, then boosting it, then setting it low again. Find that happy point. Having a low CYA can create this Yo-yo effect.
Are you familar with PoolMath app. That can help find the right amount of FC generation based on pump run time and SWCG % setting.

Once last item, since you have a plaster pool, you need to raise your CH to minimum 250ppm and ideally around 350ppm

So basic steps
Raise CYA
Get your FC in line with the target CYA level - FC/CYA Levels - use LC rather than boost on SWCG
Continue to monitor your pH and TA to with goal to lower TA over time to help slow rise in pH
Raise CH

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.