Clueless! New to forum

Yes, I shut off the pump, turn the multiport handle 180 degrees, turn pump back on & backwash through a hose out to the woods & then turn the pump back off & handle back 180 degrees, turn pump back on & water goes right back out the return jets into pool (most of the time with junk in the return water & now I understand why!). I'm not sure if I always go clockwise or not. Like you said earlier, the handle IS very hard to turn, so I will see about replacing that washer. Should I just try to get it off & take it to Lowe's??? Shop online? I'm not even sure that I will be able to get it off :( Thanks!!

Yes, I shut off the pump, turn the multiport handle 180 degrees, turn pump back on & backwash through a hose out to the woods & then turn the pump back off & handle back 180 degrees, turn pump back on & water goes right back out the return jets into pool (most of the time with junk in the return water & now I understand why!). I'm not sure if I always go clockwise or not. Like you said earlier, the handle IS very hard to turn, so I will see about replacing that washer. Should I just try to get it off & take it to Lowe's??? Shop online? I'm not even sure that I will be able to get it off: ( Thanks!!

DAY 7: A little discouraged today :( Pool looks REALLY ugly, cloudier than ever! FC went from 15 to 10 overnight. So, I brought it back up to FC15 and will continue the fight!! FC10 is my SLAM level according to Pool Math, is it ok to keep slamming at 15 to try to make it go faster? On a positive note, I did order my new gauge, multiport valve label (found one online for $3) non-metallic bearing for multiport valve & 4 new eyeballs :party: Day 7 pics.....

I tested CYA again... this time reading it outside with full sunlight over my back (initially did the first test in the house because I didn't know any better). I got CYA of 30 this time (CYA 20 initially plugged into PoolMath). So that actually now brings my shock level up to 12 and mustard algae to 19. I've been maintaining FC 15 since the 2nd night and over the last 5 days (including today). Should I go to higher FC level??

I tested CYA again... this time reading it outside with full sunlight over my back (initially did the first test in the house because I didn't know any better). I got CYA of 30 this time (CYA 20 initially plugged into PoolMath). So that actually now brings my shock level up to 12 and mustard algae to 19. I've been maintaining FC 15 since the 2nd night and over the last 5 days (including today). Should I go to higher FC level??
Yes.

Really good question downlo. I was using 18,800 gallons because that is what the pool store had in the computer from the previous owner & they thought that they had installed it. I measured the pool & used PoolMath and indeed, I think the gallons are wrong! My pool is 18' x 36' rectangle, 3-4' in shallow end and I'm guessing 8' in the deep end, so I used 5.5' average..... that brings the gallons up to 26,700. Does that make more sense?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so with the new calculations and bumping up to FC 19... I just added 2 more jugs (121oz. 8.25%)... 37 jugs so far in the "dead soldiers" pile! I will check again in 30 mins to make sure I have reached FC 19 and hold it there :D All suggestions are more than welcome!! I am willing to do whatever y'all suggest :lovetfp:

Checked my FC level and it's at 20!! I hope I'm on the fast track now... LOL ;) PLEASE y'all, anything you can think of that I need to be doing or that I might be doing wrong, let me know, so I can make the appropriate corrections. I have learned sooooo much already and am so blessed to have found TFP. I WILL win in the battle of "Joanne vs Pool" !!! :whip:

So, now I'm a little confused..... lol, it doesn't take much!! At 5:30pm with an FC reading of 13, I did the new calculations for my pool size & added two 121oz. jugs of 8.25% to bring the FC up to 19 (mustard algae strength). At 6:15 my FC was 20 :D So, I thought "good job". Then I checked again at 9:15pm just to make sure the pool was set for the night and the FC is up to 21!! So my confusion is.... I thought the free chlorine was supposed to be used up as it killed algae, how can the number be rising??? Am I not understanding something??? Thanks again.......

SWG has been off during SLAM (so for the past 7 days). And I always take my sample in the same place.... opposite the return jet in the deep end, next to the ladder, 18" down in the water (to my elbow).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.