Clueless! New to forum

Thanks for the great info Kiss. I really appreciate the help. I thought about putting vaseline on my pump basket cover, would that work? Or what should I buy to grease it?

My new multiport valve label..... $3.00 online!!!! (And new glycerine-filled psi gauge from TFP!!) :lovetfp:

If you are going to "grease" a rubber gasket you don't want Vaseline, it has petroleum in it and can swell the gasket and cause it to deteriorate. You want to use a silicone plumbers grease.

Nice gauge !! Looks a lot like mine :roll:

Where did you find the label for $3 ??

Attachments

• Silicone Faucet Grease.JPG
    Silicone Faucet Grease.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 145
Oh I so thank you for the idea of the grease. I am sure my husband has some. I will ask him for it!

I hate having to hit it but...........you do what you got to do when you are a girl! LOL

Vac plate-with mine it sat too high so that the top of the pump hose connector was just above the water so I would get air in now matter how tight I put it on. I just gave up and shove the hose down the hole. I am going to look into putting some kind of net/mesh/something to stop stuff from doing down to the pump basket just in case. As you say you never know!

Kim

Hey Kiss,
I found the label at PoolPartsOnline.com for $3.04, also got a package of 5 non-metallic bearings for the multiport valve for $2.14 and then found out that you had to spend at least $15.00 for them to ship. So, I also got a 25 ft vacuum hose for $17.87... NO tax charged and $5.00 to ship.... total was $28.05!! I love it when I get a great deal :D The label & bearings are genuine Hayward parts too. I haven't changed the bearing yet... how do you get the pin out of the multiport valve? I need to add that to the "to do" list. I found this lubricant at Lowe's today for $3.64, looks like the same stuff. I'm trying the clarifier today, keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Also... I found THIS in the polaris bag!!!! I'm hoping that it got in there from the man who mows my lawn running over something?? But, remember, I can't see the bottom.... I hope there is not a UFO down there!!! LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Eddy,
I am a newbie too! I started my SLAM 20 days ago (it was a deep green swamp). I have been blind scooping, brushing and running the polaris. If you look back to the beginning of my post, I really have made a lot of progress with the help of the nice people here :lovetfp:

THAT IS why you don't want to vacuum without that basket in your skimmer !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, that grease is the same thing.

The washer (non-metallic bearing) is likely going to be cheaper at a pool store. I think mine cost me 4-5 bucks. You very carefully tap the steel pin in the handle out with a hammer and ... whatever you have on hand. Punch if you have one, screwdriver, ... It will be a little stiff coming out and use a little of that grease on the pin and in the hole it slides through and it slides back in sweet !!
Yes I understand it's all plastic and I didn't believe it but those were the directions I kept coming across and it's also a youtube video. It worked fine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVr5d_mpKAI
She talks about the spring being bad if it's hard to turn. Mine was the broken "washer" and also cleaning and lubricating the O-ring for the shaft. That part is a little more difficult.

You can do the washer easy with everything connected. Drive the pin out, remove the handle, replace the washer, replace the handle and insert pin.

If you replace the washer and it's still stiff you'll have to take it apart again. That or just pull the six screws and have two 4" C clamps handy to take it apart and then carefully compress it back together against that spring. Mine was so stiff when I took the handle off the top and bottom were seized at that O ring and finally popped apart in the sink as I was trying to work them back and forth to get them apart.
This video will show you yours. It's the O ring and plastic washer that backs up the O ring that I very carefully removed, scrubbed the shaft and cleaned the O ring and washer, silicone lubed it when it dried and a little coating the inside collar of the top piece the shaft fits into. It's sooooooo smooth it's crazy. Cleaned those two and replaced that big plastic washer and I was good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDlCSDKx-E4

Attachments

• Multiport valve handle retaining pin.jpg
    Multiport valve handle retaining pin.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 125
Lol Kiss, I hear that!! Don't worry, I bought the vac plate for the skimmer today too :p I think you missed the part in my post that I bought a pack of 5 of those Hayward non-metallic bearings for $2.14... woo hoo!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Day 21: I thought I was superwoman this morning!! Ha!! Well, I'm not :( I did get the pump basket cover off & cleaned everything real nice & "greased" it and it works beautifully now!!! I can open & close it easily by myself.:goodjob: (You need to do this Kim) That is when I started thinking I was superwoman (it doesn't take much, lol)! So, next I tackle changing the non-metallic bearing under the multiport valve handle (since I'm feeling like superwoman, why not?). I tap the pin out using a hammer & screwdriver, well it was WAY more than "tapping" involved.... only whacking my hand once (once was enough). Cleaned everything up nice, greased up the new bearing & the pin BUT now I can't get the pin back in!!! It almost seems like the new bearing is too thick & I can't push the handle down far enough to line the holes up properly to get the pin back in :( Is there some trick to this?? Kiss, you made it sound sooo easy!!! Anyways, I just have a smaller diameter metal rod holding it in place for now until I can get some help. By the way, it works great now!! So, next I tried all the new vacuum paraphernalia I bought yesterday and, that too, was a disaster!! The vac plate for the skimmer basket fits fine OUT of the skimmer, but when I try to push it down INTO the skimmer, it is just a hair too big in diameter!!! OMG :hammer: That's all I want to say about that right now......

Day 21 pic: No miracle with the clarifier overnight :oops: I will give it more time..... ALL SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED!! Thanks y'all

A girl's got to do what a girl's got to do..... right Kim??!! LOL

WOW, that pin of yours isn't anything like mine :confused::confused: Oh, that's just temporary :joker:

Take the handle off again. Start the pin and flip it over so you can watch the bottom and tap the pin in until there is just a little (very) bit of the pin sticking through. You want just a sliver which will let you "feel" when you have the pin lined up with the hole in the multiports shaft. You need to play with it a bit and go ahead and use the rod you have in the other side to kind of line up that side. If you've lubed the pin it shouldn't take near as much effort getting it back in.

That "bearing without metal" :roll: makes your whole valve look new. What are you hanging onto that old non TFTestkit gauge for ??

Attachments

• IMG_1374_zpsde655788.jpg
    IMG_1374_zpsde655788.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 110
The washer as you found out can be done with the valve assembled. I had that problem at the pool store when I bought my replacement as the lady (not a new employee) started to tell me about needing "C" clamps and taking the whole top off.
I had already taken it apart once to find the broken "non-metallic" bearing ... (it's a plastic washer!) so I knew it wasn't that difficult and after she finished I tried to tell her I'd already done it ... I don't think she believed me.

LOVE it! At least you got it to work! The greasing of my pump basket it set for this weekend. I will have on my "yucky" clothes. I don't care what I do or how careful I am I WILL get what ever I am working with on me. I have given up even trying to stay clean.

I have to say I did laugh out loud when I saw your pin! I showed to my husband and he asked if I told you to do it! I just told him "she got it done and it works so......" He just shook his head (as he often does at me) and walked away! LOL

That is what I LOVE about TFP! Everyone is SO willing to share and no fun is poked at people who are doing the best they can with what they have.

HUGS and GREAT job!

Kim

That is what I LOVE about TFP! Everyone is SO willing to share and no fun is poked at people who are doing the best they can with what they have.

No fun is poked at people :confused::confused: No one told me that. What's the fun in showing off what you know if you can't belittle everyone else ?? I have so much pent up hostility from being bullied in high school I need to vent.
Plus like Jhkh said about me making replacing that washer sound easy, she wasn't here for the four letter words when my pin wouldn't come out and I was sure I'd break the whole assembly off the side of my filter :brickwall: I had to go back and watch the video again just to get up the nerve to use that hammer on the plastic parts. ;)

As for the gauge, nothing before you became a TFP convert has any value :roll: :lovetfp:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.