Silver Creek, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
I have a SLAM that I can't seem to end. The pool was a mess when i started 3 weeks ago working on it. The water is much better than before and I can see the pattern on the bottom. It is still cloudy.
I have not lost any chlorine in days. It is high because I originally was losing.
All of the other levels are maintaining.
How much longer do I need to go? I am sure I can't start over.
I vacuum, brush and backwash. It is almost there but just won't clear up. It has cost me a lot of money in chlorine. I need some help please. I am beyond frustrated.
FC 40
CC 0
TA 70
PH 7.8
CYA 80

I have a SLAM that I can't seem to end. The pool was a mess when i started 3 weeks ago working on it. The water is much better than before and I can see the pattern on the bottom. It is still cloudy.
I have not lost any chlorine in days. It is high because I originally was losing.
All of the other levels are maintaining.
How much longer do I need to go? I am sure I can't start over.
I vacuum, brush and backwash. It is almost there but just won't clear up. It has cost me a lot of money in chlorine. I need some help please. I am beyond frustrated.
FC 40
CC 0
TA 70
PH 7.8
CYA 80
CYA of 80 is a hard row to hoe for a SLAM. Anything over 60 will be reaaaaaaly hard. Added to that, you have a sand filter, that is "smallish" for your pool size, and sand filter take the longest to clear a pool.

Can you post pictures of the pool water as it stands? Also post pictures of the pool in general to see ladders, etc.

Do you have a ladder in the pool? Did you remove and scrub it? Algae loves to hide in the ladder.

How often do you backwash the filter? When do you backwash?

It may be time to replace 25-50% of your water to reduce CYA to 60-40. This might allow the SLAM to succeed.

See "no-drain water exchange" here:

Reactions: Newdude
*Ph test is invalid at fc levels above 10ppm so don’t attempt to adjust it or waste reagent on it until fc falls.
Have you ever deep cleaned your sand?
That may help you along & also give you the opportunity to inspect your filter components & the sand level

Also - adding a little de can help the sand filter capture the finer particles - you’ll want to be available to babysit the process.
When you say you haven’t lost chlorine do you mean with the
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?

Be sure you have rounded up all the usual suspects…
If water can go there, algae can live there-

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

CYA of 80 is a hard row to hoe for a SLAM. Anything over 60 will be reaaaaaaly hard. Added to that, you have a sand filter, that is "smallish" for your pool size, and sand filter take the longest to clear a pool.

Can you post pictures of the pool water as it stands? Also post pictures of the pool in general to see ladders, etc.

Do you have a ladder in the pool? Did you remove and scrub it? Algae loves to hide in the ladder.

It may be time to replace 25-50% of your water to reduce CYA to 60-40. This might allow the SLAM to succeed.

Attachments

• 20230421_160207.jpg
    20230421_160207.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:
Can you remove that set of steps? It should be inspected to see if algae is inside that isn't getting scrubbed out. If not you'll need to do your best with some kind of wire bristle brush with nylon bristles and scrub as best you can inside those side slits.

I have not cleaned the filter but aside from that I have done all of the other things. The pool was drained accidently by me so it has all but 2 feet of clean water.

Can you remove that set of steps? It should be inspected to see if algae is inside that isn't getting scrubbed out. If not you'll need to do your best with some kind of wire bristle brush with nylon bristles and scrub as best you can inside those side slits.
I can remove the steps. I will clean them again. I may have just missed something.

I have not cleaned the filter but aside from that I have done all of the other things. The pool was drained accidently by me so it has all but 2 feet of clean water.

I suspect the steps as a contributor - you have to clean them inside & out with bleach. Some have found a pressure washer helpful for getting inside them

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.