Cloudy water

ConnieStrnat

Aug 4, 2018
Indianapolis
First, let me apologize if I'm not posting this in the right place...
We opened our pool about 10 days ago and for once everything went fine. All equipment working, water crystal clear. The water went cloudy about 5 days in, however, but pretty sure it was my fault for letting the chlorine get too low. I went ahead and shocked bringing chlorine up to 11 ppm, and it mostly cleared. This morning the water was cloudy again so I checked the chlorine. FC was 3, CC .5, PH 7.6, CYA 50. Everything looks good, so why the cloudiness? I don't see any algae, water looks clean...

You didn't do the SLAM process and your one time dose of FC was not enough to completely kill all the algae so it simply grew back

To clear your pool and KEEP it clear you will need to SLAM. SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain
I didn't do the SLAM process because I didn't think there was algae present. I think the chlorine just dropped, so I shocked. If I had algae, wouldn't the CC be higher?

CC is primarily the byproduct of chlorine reacting with ammonia or other compounds. Killing algae produces little if any CC. The presence of cloudy water and lack of CC is actually a strong indication of an algae bloom.

Besides that though, the SLAM Process is not exclusively for the correction of an algae bloom. If a problem is causing chlorine loss, then the SLAM Process is usually the answer.

Reactions: ConnieStrnat
I didn't do the SLAM process because I didn't think there was algae present.
The cloudy water after being below min FC all but guaranteed it was algae.

You caught it before it exploded to a full blown swamp, but becoming clear again isn't enough. Algae is microscopic and you can only see it once it's out of control. You can keep it at bay with clear water, but it's just waiting for you to slip up if you don't kill it completely.

You dropped below minimum this morning and it's looking to take advantage of that again.

It's SLAM time. :)

When I opened my pool, it was cloudy as anything. Algae visible on the floor. CC were zero. During my entire SLAM, CC were zero or 0.5. No CC doesn’t mean no algae.

The cloudy water after being below min FC all but guaranteed it was algae.

You caught it before it exploded to a full blown swamp, but becoming clear again isn't enough. Algae is microscopic and you can only see it once it's out of control. You can keep it at bay with clear water, but it's just waiting for you to slip up if you don't kill it completely.

You dropped below minimum this morning and it's looking to take advantage of that again.

It's SLAM time. :)
Thank you! Started the SLAM yesterday :)

Reactions: Newdude
CC is primarily the byproduct of chlorine reacting with ammonia or other compounds. Killing algae produces little if any CC. The presence of cloudy water and lack of CC is actually a strong indication of an algae bloom.

Besides that though, the SLAM Process is not exclusively for the correction of an algae bloom. If a problem is causing chlorine loss, then the SLAM Process is usually the answer.
Thanks for your advice!

Hit it hard and hit it often. If the dose is holding at 2 hours, switch to 3 hours. Then 4, and so on.

No matter what, you have the leg up in the battle with cool-ish, clear water. No matter how bad it is, it'd be 1000 times worse in July with a swamp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support