Cloudy Water

no it hasn't been brought up yet. I clean the filter constantly and it seems to be working fine.

It all started last Sunday when I noticed the water similar to what it is now but just slightly clearer. I said "hm the water looks a little cloudy" but didn't think anything of it. Put the solar cover on that night, didn't really check it Monday and by Tuesday afternoon I came home to an algae bloom on my lunch break. I didn't have too good of a vac so I went out and got a better manual one than I had after work and went home and started vacuuming. By 930 the walls and floor were scrubbed/vacuumed the best I could and I dumped a gallon and a half of 12.5% liquid chlorine in. I was also using floating tabs previously and with the stupid test strips the chlorine level was around 3 before putting it in. Woke up the next am to SUPER cloudy white water. Figured it was all the dead ish and I ran the filter 24/7 up until last night (cleaning it as well). The hubby thought he was doing a good thing and put the HTH clarifier in on Friday BUT didn't really read the directions and put in half of the bottle. I'm thinking that has something to do with the cloudyness also. It has cleared up significantly since but it is not crystal clear. Since I was using the strips at the time I'll let you know that they were reading the max of 10ppm for chlorine from Wednesday morning until Saturday afternoon. That's when the chlorine level started to dip down to what it was when I had .the water tested at the stores yesterday. I'm out at least two to three times a day futzing/cleaning the filter. I have two different I'm swapping out. One clean goes in the dirty I get to play with for a half hour and clean. I really don't mind it either I'm amazed by the amount of stuff/nastyness gets caught in the filter.

btw I HATE THIS FILTER! I really would like a much better cartridge filter but that will have to wait until next season. I've spent so much money between the pool and all my extras the hubby is literally ready to kill me and the credit cards are slowing creeping up. I need to stop spending as much as I can.

Hard to tell with no test results...but it won't hurt to run your pump longer and back flush more often.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Test kit is scheduled for delivery tomorrow :). It rained last night and below is what the pool looks like..somehow clearer?? Hubby left the filter on all night after the cartridge change so I'm leaving it off this am. I put in maybe 1/4 of a gallon of the 10% chlorine yesterday bc the sun was beating on it all day. Since I don't have my kit to confirm my levels I'm trying to put only a little in at a time. I literally have one test strip left so I've just been using those to make sure my levels don't drop too low while I'm waiting.

Do you guys think I still need to slam? Or could I just keep trying to maintain slightly higher FC levels then what I was keeping.

I want to upload pics but apparently ran out of space to upload and can't figure out how to delete the old pics:confused:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
20160628_084335.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That was this am

Danielle1,

The fact that your pool got clearer after the Hubby left the pump on adds credence that more filtering will help. Also, some of the people advising you are the same ones that helped me get started almost a year ago. My pool's been perfect ever since with less than $5/Mo of chemicals... similar size to yours but in ground. Keep testing, keep posting! You'll get great advice and you'll learn in no time then get to encourage other newbies.

Your filter capacity seems a little light for the size of your pool which may mean you'd need to run longer. Comments experts?

I hope this helps and good luck!

Chris

We don't work on many above ground pools, however, from experience they typically come with under-sized / poor quality equipment. What size is the cartridge filter? I have a feeling if you had a good quality filter on your pool, that your cloudy water problem would magically go away.

Sadly its the filter that came with the pool. It's rated at 2500gph. I knew going into it that I would eventually have to upgrade. I was hoping to get at least one season out of it. But we've been running it almost nonstop for a week and this is the clearest it's been since the algae and chlorine issue from last week.

Yea it's off and I was concerned at first but after going in it a bunch and leaning on it already I'm not so nervous. It's really just for us big Kids so I told everyone obviously we can't be rough..they figure if we're all in and it fails well go for a short swim..there are no other properties to flood so we dont care about that. That's the Hubby and friends philosophy. It's actually really sturdy tho and I told him if it fails bc it's not level he gets to buy the next one and pay for the water. Trust me it was a HUGE fight here for days. In the end it's not worth us fighting about and I can't fix it myself.

We plan on getting through the season and then we're either gonna drain it and take it down or drain it and fix it. I really don't have space to store it in the off season bc God forbid it goes in the precious garage lol. We may just fix it (level and wrinkles) and close it.

The Hubby's friends helped put it up and it was done rather quickly :mad:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm slightly concerned about the CYA level though. Should I raise it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.