Cloudy water wont uncloudy ..

Soooo apparently I *may* be an idiot and cant read instructions.

For those of you who have a Taylor K2006 ... I do steps 1 through 4 and get my FC reading (48 drops of R0871 in a 25ml sample). I was accidentally reading the 0.5ppm for the 25ml sample when I should have been reading .2ppm. So all this time, my FC has been lower than I thought. At 48 drops, my FC is actually around 9.6, correct?

For steps 5 through 7, I use two drops, giving me a CC of 0.4, correct?

Im really hoping someone tells me "no no, you were right the first time" but I know this wont be the case. Grrrr.

I added some comments in your quote

NewPoolOwner12 said:

For those of you who have a Taylor K2006 ... I do steps 1 through 4 and get my FC reading (48 drops of R0871 in a 25ml sample). I was accidentally reading the 0.5ppm for the 25ml sample when I should have been reading .2ppm. So all this time, my FC has been lower than I thought. At 48 drops, my FC is actually around 9.6, correct?

Yup you are at 48 drops @ .2 will give you 9.6 ppm FC

Yep, 2 drops @ .2 will give you .4 ppm, pool schools says you can stop shocking when:
a. CC is .5 or under (check)
b. FC overnight loss is 1.0 or under (remains to be seen)
c. Water is clear (hmm...still the main problem)

If you can accomplish a & b and not c, try cutting of the filter for 24 hours or so to let everything fall to the floor and then vacuuming, like I have been saying all along

Im really hoping someone tells me "no no, you were right the first time" but I know this wont be the case. Grrrr.

My start

SAM_0804.jpg

My finish

SAM_0883.jpg

Just saying :goodjob:

mtva24 said:
I added some comments in your quote

NewPoolOwner12 said:

Yup you are at 48 drops @ .2 will give you 9.6 ppm FC

Yep, 2 drops @ .2 will give you .4 ppm, pool schools says you can stop shocking when:
a. CC is .5 or under (check)
b. FC overnight loss is 1.0 or under (remains to be seen)
c. Water is clear (hmm...still the main problem)

If you can accomplish a & b and not c, try cutting of the filter for 24 hours or so to let everything fall to the floor and then vacuuming, like I have been saying all along

Just saying :goodjob:

I feel like such a dolt. Can I blame the blond hair? No? Anyone? BUELLER?

Ok. So before bed, I added another 2 gallons of bleach. Since my CYA is about 30 - 35, I need my FC to be about 14 or so. I didnt test before bed cause I dont know how long it takes for the bleach to mix with the water to force the higher FC.

Anywho, I just tested now and Im at 38 FC drops in a 10ml sample = 19 FC
I drop for my CC = 0.5 CC.
Water is still cloudy.

So a) is still check; b) we will find out this evening (Im hoping my FC doesnt drop below 14 during the work day). c) not quite yet

I cant vaccuum this morning as I am late (stressful pool sleep :p) but I will when I get home.

As per my last post, I make sure to scrub and vaccuum at least once a day, twice if I can. Havent washed the filter lately but the pressure is still holding at about 13psi.

Next update at 5pm .. stay tuned? PLEASE :D

I feel like such a dolt. Can I blame the blond hair? No? Anyone? BUELLER?

Ok. So before bed, I added another 2 gallons of bleach. Since my CYA is about 30 - 35, I need my FC to be about 14 or so. I didnt test before bed cause I dont know how long it takes for the bleach to mix with the water to force the higher FC.

Anywho, I just tested now and Im at 38 FC drops in a 10ml sample = 19 FC
I drop for my CC = 0.5 CC.
Water is still cloudy.

So a) is still check; b) we will find out this evening (Im hoping my FC doesnt drop below 14 during the work day). c) not quite yet

I cant vaccuum this morning as I am late (stressful pool sleep :p) but I will when I get home.

As per my last post, I make sure to scrub and vaccuum at least once a day, twice if I can. Havent washed the filter lately but the pressure is still holding at about 13psi.

Next update at 5pm .. stay tuned? PLEASE :D

Pool School is saying at least 30 minutes after your last chemical addition to test water...

To perform the overnight FC loss test:

1. If you have an SWG, tablet chlorinator, or other chlorine feeder, shut it off completely.

2. After the sun goes down, and at least 30 minutes after your last chemical addition of the day, test your water for FC using the FAS-DPD test.

3. Record that result. Do not put any more chlorine in your pool.

4. The next morning, as early as practical and definitely before there is any direct sunlight on the pool, perform the FAS-DPD FC test again and record the results

mtva24 said:
Pool School is saying at least 30 minutes after your last chemical addition to test water...
1. If you have an SWG, tablet chlorinator, or other chlorine feeder, shut it off completely.
2. After the sun goes down, and at least 30 minutes after your last chemical addition of the day, test your water for FC using the FAS-DPD test.
4. The next morning, as early as practical and definitely before there is any direct sunlight on the pool, perform the FAS-DPD FC test again and record the results

Just got home from work and did a test. FC is down to 7.5 and CC is at 0.5. Water is still cloudy.

Boooo. More bleach required. Boooo.

Btw mtva .. yes, my SWG is off :)

I'll report back again this evening :)

NewPoolOwner12 said:
mtva24 said:

Just got home from work and did a test. FC is down to 7.5 and CC is at 0.5. Water is still cloudy.

Boooo. More bleach required. Boooo.

Btw mtva .. yes, my SWG is off :)

I'll report back again this evening :)

I think they only want u to shut it down at night time...sorry for the confusion...

GAH .. SO close lol

Brought the FC level back up to 21 after the sun went down. Then tested just before bed. FC was at 21.

Just tested a few minutes ago .. FC is at 19. AND the water is clearer. Still a BIT cloudy but definitely better than previously.

Hopefully one more day *crosses fingers* :D

Some people run the swcg while shocking except when running the oclt, and that's fine. It's using up cell life and since you're having to add bleach anyway you can turn it off during shocking and leave it off the entire time. The choice is really up to you.

The only hard fast rule is that it be off prior to the evening test when running the oclt and remain off until after the morning test.

I'm not familiar with the K2006, but I'm pretty sure there are alternate directions for the DAPD Chlorine Drop Test that will allow you to use less reagent. Keep that FC up, and the water will clear. Make sure you clean that filter regularly while shocking...when your filter pressure rises. If you don't have a gauge, I'd clean that filter every other day, especially if your water is cloudy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama: yeah I've had it off. If it's gonna just waste cell life, don't see much point in putting it back on.

Tom: agreed. Thats pretty much what I have been doing. Haven't cleaned the filter in about 3.5 days but the pressure is staying pretty constant at around 13psi. I'll likely clean it tonight cause why not? Certainly won't hurt it.

Got a question tho: during all this shocking and scrubbing and vaccuuming (well I guess between those times) ... During the day, the pool is completely in the sun so the water heats up a bit. But it's pretty chilly at night still so there is a lot of heat loss. Can I put the solar blanket on to keep the heat in overnight? Or because I a going through this process of shocking algae, is it not a good idea?

Just curious.

The advantage to running the SWCG is if you can't be on top of the pool all day. It'll help keep the FC level up while you are gone. If you are there and have plenty of bleach on hand, then you don't need it. :)

Covering overnight is fine, as long as your cover can stand the FC levels you are running.

RobbieH said:
The advantage to running the SWCG is if you can't be on top of the pool all day. It'll help keep the FC level up while you are gone. If you are there and have plenty of bleach on hand, then you don't need it. :)

Covering overnight is fine, as long as your cover can stand the FC levels you are running.

Ah. That makes sense (about the SWG). And the cover .. I have no idea if the cover can stand the higher FC levels so I wont chance it :)

Were are close, captain. So close.

Got home from work today and the water is noticeably clearer. Still a bit murky but clearer. FC was down to 10. I'll pump it back up tonight and see what my results are tomorrow morning. I only lost 2 FC last night so hopefully thats a good sign.

Also just did a vacuum and scrub, then took the filter out to give it a good cleaning. Wasnt TOO bad to the naked eye. The housing for the filter wasnt too dirty inside either.

Hopefully by the end of the weekend .. we be a swimming.

Well my body decided to give me a whopper of a migraine late thursday evening. It came on rather suddenly but I had time to put in two gallons of bleach and since I knew I would be out of commission, I turned on the SWG.

Pretty much did nothing with it all day Friday as I was in a coma. Yesterday evening, turned off the SWG, checked the levels, added 1 gallon of bleach. FC was at 16. Woke up this morning and the FC was at SIX FREAKING TEEN BABYYYYYYY. WOOOOO. CC is at less than 0.5 (did the CC test. After I put in the 5 drops, the water BARELY turned colors - then one drop of 8701 turned it clear again). WOOOOO.

Except .. grrr .. water is still a bit murky. Grrr. Im gonna be outside a lot today, building the new deck around the pool so I'll make sure to keep the FC above 15 all day, then give it over night again. If the FC doesnt drop overnight for a second night in a row AND my CC is below 0.5 .. on Sunday, I'll turn off the filter for a few hours and hopefully, some of the "milky" sinks to the bottom and I can vacuum it up.

WOO.

NewPoolOwner12 said:
Well my body decided to give me a whopper of a migraine late thursday evening. It came on rather suddenly but I had time to put in two gallons of bleach and since I knew I would be out of commission, I turned on the SWG.

Pretty much did nothing with it all day Friday as I was in a coma. Yesterday evening, turned off the SWG, checked the levels, added 1 gallon of bleach. FC was at 16. Woke up this morning and the FC was at SIX FREAKING TEEN BABYYYYYYY. WOOOOO. CC is at less than 0.5 (did the CC test. After I put in the 5 drops, the water BARELY turned colors - then one drop of 8701 turned it clear again). WOOOOO.

Except .. grrr .. water is still a bit murky. Grrr. Im gonna be outside a lot today, building the new deck around the pool so I'll make sure to keep the FC above 15 all day, then give it over night again. If the FC doesnt drop overnight for a second night in a row AND my CC is below 0.5 .. on Sunday, I'll turn off the filter for a few hours and hopefully, some of the "milky" sinks to the bottom and I can vacuum it up.

WOO.

Congrats!

Butterfly: Tell me about it. As a sufferer for years now, they are not pleasant. Pretty much immobile for a day. Awesome. Thankfully my boss is WAY understanding :D

Mtva: Thanks :)

So, I havent been testing all day but every 90 min, Im dumping in about 2.5 liters of bleach, just to keep the FC up during the sunny part of the day.

Here is what the pool looks like now ..... do ya think its clear enough to swim in?

Attachments

• IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 34
NikiBelle said:
I'm soooooooooooooo jealous!!!!!! You are doing so awesome!!!!!!

Looks like swimmin is definitely in your near future.

Way to GOOOOOOOOOOO

Not soon enough. My son wont stop pestering. "is it ready yet? Huh? is it? Daddy? is it? huh? Puhhleeeze make it be ready. Daddy? Why arent you listening to me?"

I see either a club to the head or throwing him in the water. A few chlorine bleach burns never hurt anyone right? :p I kid, I kid.

Not to mention Im building a deck around the pool and OMG its so freaking hot out. That pool is laughing at me, I swear it lol

OMG it's hard isn't it?

It's like 146 here in Tennessee in the shade. Our humidity is 7823928847% right now. I have been so tempted to even fall in "accidentally". Problem is i haven't seen the bottom of my pool in over a year. There may be sharks, piranha, or gold fish in there. I'm waiting till it clears.

Looks like yours is so close!!!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.