Cloudy water using tablets.

timjet

Sep 4, 2015
Leesburg, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hey guys, my Pentair SWG failed (Solid green Cell light) about a month ago. It was not quite 2 years old. I contacted Pentair and they have agreed to replace it but they are saying it will be some time because of parts. So I'm chlorinating using tablets. I guess I wasn't quick enough because I noticed algae build up on the bottom of the pool. I shocked using granular shock, brushed off the algae and became more consistent watching chlorine levels. I've cleaned the filter twice. For the last 2 weeks or so the chlorine level has been good. Today I used the TFS kit and got the following results.
CH 3.5
Alkalinity 130
PH: 7.4
Calcium Hardness 130
Stabilizer: 70

The salt level is low but of course the SWG isn't working.

Any suggestions on how to clear up the cloudy water. Also I'm still noticing a bit of algae forming on the bottom near the shallow end. Again CL levels are good.

Follow the SLAM Process step by step with no shortcuts to clear your algae problem. Use liquid chlorine for the SLAM Process.

With your CYA at 70 your SLAM FC will be 28.

Shocking with granular shock is not the same as the SLAM Process

Reactions: ShallowWater
I'd also recommend to stop using chlorine tabs, you don't want that stabilizer level to rise any more. Even though 70 is great for a SWG pool, while chlorinating manually you should follow the liquid chlorine side of the FC/CYA Levels (it's not the salt in an SWG pool that allows for lower FC levels, it's the constant and reliable chlorination). And as you already started noticing, getting rid of algae gets challenging at higher CYA levels.

FC 3.5 is much too low for a manually chlorinated pool, min FC is 5, target 8-10, SLAM 28.

Liquid chlorine is your buddy for now. SLAM with liquid chlorine. Then maintain 8-10 ppm FC using liquid chlorine, go rather higher than lower to get some buffer to accommodate hick-ups in the for you unfamiliar routine of manually adding chlorine.

Once your SWG is running again you can switch back to the SWG side of the FC/CYA chart.

Solid green Cell light
That's a normal indication that your cell is currently generating chlorine. Are you seeing something else?

For the last 2 weeks or so the chlorine level has been good.
No, it hasn't. You need a lot more FC with a CYA of 70.

I used the TFS kit
What model kit do you have? (Add it to your signature, along with your pump and filter models.)

CH=Calcium Hardness
FC=Free Chlorine

Alkalinity 130
Have you been adding baking soda or anything else to increase TA?

Calcium Hardness 130
This is very low for a plaster pool. The priority is completing the SLAM, but you'll need to add calcium.

IC 20 SWG
If your cell is bad and you're replacing it, get at least an IC40.

Timjet, this link will help you learn what the recommended safe levels are for your pool. Just select the plaster and SWG options-

Its important you get your calcium level in line for the lifespan of your plaster.

Maddie 🇮🇹

OK, thanks guys, starting SLAM today.
I use the TFT TF-100 Test kit.
My SWG had a Flashing Green light, not steady as I reported above. It has failed and Pentair has agreed to replace it. They will not say when that will be so I will probably buy a new one and keep the one they send as a spare.
Calcium Hardness is 275 as reported by Pinch a penny. My test kit reports a level of around 130.

Thanks guys, after 6 days my pool water is crystal clean. CH is 15, waiting for it to drop to 7 before adding tablets. Pentair is sending me a IC-40 but they are back ordered and won't give me a date. I bought an IC 40 from polytech and will install when it arrives this week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My guess in recommending liquid is that the tablets have CYA and 70 is too high, correct?

Correct.

70 is ok for a SWG. Getting CYA much above that gets into problem territory.

Reactions: mgtfp
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.