Latham, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello! We had a leak over the winter which has since been fixed. When it was first fixed, we opened, added chlorine, and just used the main drain and side filters for circulate the water and the water was clear (image attached). The wait to get the liner back in place and adding more water is what took longer than expected which turned the water green.

We’ve added two large jugs of chlorine because the water is too cold for our salt cell. The water cleared up but is very cloudy (image attached). I tested this morning via my Taylor kit (results in image).

I‘ve added the recommended 4lbs of Borax and will add conditioner later today (need to replenish). We will not add any additional chlorine to get levels down.

My questions - can the PH make the water cloudy? Any other thoughts? Does clarifier work? Help!

Attachments

• IMG_6041.jpeg
    IMG_6041.jpeg
    535.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6163.jpeg
    IMG_6163.jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6177.jpeg
    IMG_6177.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6176.jpeg
    IMG_6176.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6179.png
    IMG_6179.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 26
List your pump model in your signature and your filter type and model.

Knowing your filter gives us a sense of how effective we can expect your filter to be.

Do you have any automation controls?

List your pump model in your signature and your filter type and model.

Knowing your filter gives us a sense of how effective we can expect your filter to be.

Do you have any automation controls?
I’ll add to my signature, it’s a Pentair SuperFlo High Performance and a Pentair Sand Dollar.

We started the slam - added a whole container of chlorine. In less 6 hours FC went from 16.2 to 3.2. We will add more chlorine right now. Our water has not changed at all, it is still extremely cloudy. Our PSI is running between 10-15.

Is this all sounding normal? I’ve never experienced this before and help is much appreciated!

Yup, all sounds normal for an algae problem and SLAM. Be patient. It will take a while to clear up.

Yup, all sounds normal for an algae problem and SLAM. Be patient. It will take a while to clear up.
Last night at 9:30am FC was at 16 and this morning (7:30am) it was at 15.2! We will continue testing today and add chlorine as needed with the pump continuously running but does mean there is hope that we are almost there since we passed the OCLT?

Thanks again for all your help!

Reactions: Newdude
Last night at 9:30am FC was at 16 and this morning (7:30am) it was at 15.2! We will continue testing today and add chlorine as needed with the pump continuously running but does mean there is hope that we are almost there since we passed the OCLT?
Also, should I have DE to my sand filter?
Thanks again for all your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can…

Add DE to a Sand Filter describes how to improve filtering by adding pool grade DE to a sand filter.

Pool grade DE MUST be used, food, pet or garden grade will not work. The use of the wrong type of DE will cause it to go directly through the filter and cloud up your pool worse.

Reactions: AngelaKelly
You can…

Add DE to a Sand Filter describes how to improve filtering by adding pool grade DE to a sand filter.

Pool grade DE MUST be used, food, pet or garden grade will not work. The use of the wrong type of DE will cause it to go directly through the filter and cloud up your pool worse.
I am hopeful that my questions stop soon but if you can further help, that would be that! My CC is up to 1.6 after adding 5 additional gallons of chlorine because I passed the OCLT but the water cloudiness has not changed and after a few hours in the morning, my FC started to drop. Is CC at 1.6 just part of the process? Any insights would be helpful!

I am hopeful that my questions stop soon but if you can further help, that would be great! My CC is up to 1.6 after adding 5 additional gallons of chlorine because I passed the OCLT but the water cloudiness has not changed and after a few hours in the morning, my FC started to drop. Is CC at 1.6 just part of the process? Any insights would be helpful!

OCLT is just one of three SLAM exit criteria. You passed one and fail the other two. The SLAM is not complete.

OCLT is just one of three SLAM exit criteria. You passed one and fail the other two. The SLAM is not complete.
I just tested and my CYA is at zero. Is it ok to add conditioner during the slam? I didn’t add any conditioner but have been adding chlorine daily. When I first started the dot at the bottom of my test kit was noticeable but barely, now at 30, I can see it clearly.

Yes, it is fine to add stablizer/CYA during the SLAM and test CYA as necessary during the SLAM.

I would also add the need to be patient. Reading your posts and the advice provided, everything looks to be on track. Sometimes the SLAM Process just takes a bit longer than for others. You appear to be early in the SLAM, so give it time. Be sure to remain vigilant each day however. At one point you were excited to pass the OCLT, however there have been a couple other odd occurrences like FC drops in the day or the elevated CC. This tells me your water is still processing junk, so don't let up.

Also be sure to sweep, brush, inspect, and repeat each day. Leave no area to chance. Any potential pocket areas where algae could hide like behind a light (niche) or even in the skimmer behind the weir door. I see you asked about the DE, but at some point you may need to consider opening the filter to inspect the sand and possibly doing a sand deep clean. We can circle back to that one later if needed.

For now, do your best to keep the SLAM FC level steady and hang in there.

Thank you! I understand all of that and will remain patient. I should have specified - my concern is in the fact that my CYA is now zero and I’ve been running at SLAM levels (even a little higher). Is something that could cause permanent damage?

Thanks for your help and expertise!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support