Cloudy Water still

Jul 23, 2010
Southern NH
First post this pool season, so Hi to everyone!

We opened up our pool last Sunday to a green swamp. We built the pool last year so this was our first opening. When the pool company came for their 'free' closing that was included in our build package my husband saw that they did nothing to clean the pool...their excuse was that they could not find our skimmer (all they had to do was look at the deck to see it was right there :? ) Anyways, we figured we would be opening up to a mess, and we did. So we started shocking right away on Monday afternoon (I had to run out and buy some more bleach).

So here we are 6 days later and our water is still cloudy. We passed the Overnight test this morning and have 0 CCs. My husband is out cleaning our filter right now, and we have brushed/vacuumed twice a day the entire week.

You can see the drains in the bottom, but it is just not sparkling like it was last year. A friend was over yesterday and she commented that it looked fine, but then again she is used to swimming in her community pool, which never is sparkling!

Test Results at 6am:
FC: 11
CC: 0
PH: 7.5
CYA: 25

We tested around 2:00 and FC is down to 8.5, but it is a very sunny day here so thinking that is the reason. Questions are:
1. Do we still need to keep at shock level even though FC dropped from 11 to 8.5 today
2. If we don't have to keep it at shock level, is it OK to turn on the SWG at this point
3. What else can we do to clear up our cloudy water?

Thanks for the help!

It took two weeks for my pool to clear when I had to shock. It's normal for FC to drop during the day. If you are passing the OCLT, I would think your SWCG will help hold it at the right level. Also, don't forget to get your CYA up to 70-80 when you are ready to let the SWCG do it's thing (When you are done shocking).

KEEP it at shock level and keep that pump/filter running. It's gonna drop a bunch of that extra FC quickly ona hot day. Do the best you can and hit it hard tonite. I wouldn't bump that CYA level to what is required for your SWG until the pool clears.

1) The three criteria for stopping shocking include the pool being clear, so you should keep it at shock level.
2) Even though you're keeping it at shock level you can turn on the swcg and let it help you.
3) Just keep your filter running continuously and clean it whenever the pressure rises about 25%.

Thank you for the quick responses! The filter was disgusting so hopefully a good cleaning will help as well. We'll bring it back up to shock level again once the filter is back in and turn on the SWG. We'll leave CYA alone for now too. I'll post updates if it does not improve over the next week.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.