cloudy water in endless pool

maggiecrowe said:
dmanb2b said:
At some point Maggie you'll have to decide if you are going to listen advice given in Pool school or the guide you are referencing. When you decide, we will be here for you if you have questions regarding Pool School / TFP forum advice given, but I'll repeat...algaecide is at best a algae preventative. It will not eliminate an algae outbreak.

Have you read through pool school?

Please don't patronise me.
I find this comment rather unnecessarily rude.

As you see in the reply from dmanb2b the intent was to clarify that the two methods are somewhat incompatible. I am sure there was no intent to belittle you or put you down. The admonishment to "read pool school" can sometimes sound like a broken record - but it helps keep poor tired fingers from having to explain all the subtle little details of things that are well trodden and recorded in a format that is well edited and fairly clear.

I'm not aware of a requirement that you "drink the coolaid" to particpate here - but the level of usefulness of member input on questions of water chemistry will be low if you don't. Mixing both advice from here and advice from pool stores or pool maintenance books that do not use BBB as the core method will probably lead to spending too much and getting inconsistent results. I personally added an unrecommended algaecide before I really knew better - between that and BBB I quickly cleared up my pool which would seem to show the Algaecide worked... except that the next time around when the pool was growing something green due to a family mishap that resulted in no chlorine for a few days - the pool cleared up using only the shock method taught here in the same time (or less) with the same effort (or less).

If you do decide to maintain your pool using another method please be ready to have a thick skin - some here are coolaid fanatics and you may get tired of the same old story. There are a few here who do not subscribe to BBB but leverage the forums for the non-water-chemistry expertise (plumbing, construction, etc.) which is another option if you want.

Oh dear. There is no need to sulk.
This highlights a problem of forums. People make (incorrect) assumptions.
Also, following the thread can be confusing. My comment regarding algaecide was in response to UnderWaterVanya's question, who has responded positively.

I am following your advice.
If you are happy to hear from me again I will let you know how I get on.

Aldi/Tesco/Asda all stock cheap unscented bleach which can be used, Domestos is stronger and gives more available chlorine per Litre, but more expensive, I haven't worked out what store bleaches are best as I am in Scotland and need Calcium Hypochloite to keep Calcium Hardness up, as you are in Surrey I would imagine you need to use bleach/Sodium Hypochlorite due to the hard water you receive from the mains.

http://www.swimmingpoolchemicals.co.uk/ ... 3_450.html
sells Sodium Hypochlorite in 5L drums with 14-15% strength

Tesco sells 2L jugs of everyday value bleach for 29p with >5% strength

EDIT:> Having a little CYA in an indoor residential pool (20-40ppm) makes things a whole lot easier, the only problem comes when it gets out of hand, which sounds like what has happened here as you have been using Di-Chlor since you started with the pool.

The only other way to test for CYA is with a photometer, which is rather expensive, and not really needed by you. Question do you know anybody at your local council pool that could test CYA if they have the test available on their photometer? it is the same tablet so you could just give them a sample to test with a Cyanuric Acid Test Tablet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support