Cloudy Water from Returns

Jun 19, 2015
Wichita, KS
The water from the returns is cloudy and has been intermittently since opening a couple weeks ago. This is what I have done thus far:

1. Opened and let Leslie's do the first water test. Added 2 bags of salt and 12 lbs stabilizer. Had some issues with the 8lb bucket with product dissolving and after a week, removed the sock from the skimmer basket with probably 1-2 pounds still not dissolved. Noticed immediately that the water was cloudy from the returns intermittently.

2. Shocked the pool.

3. Noticed water around the base of the pump but not every day. Odd that a leak would be intermittent.

4. Over the course of the 2 weeks the pump didn't self prime 3 times. Changed the pump shaft seal yesterday. Water is now cloudy constantly coming from the returns.

5. Cleaned the salt cell. No difference.

6. Held a sock over the return for a minute. No sand in the sock.

7. There are trace amounts of sand in the pool and I'm not sure what amount is considered normal coming in. I did change the laterals last summer and if I recall the amount of sand coming in was greater leading to that change.

8. Have back washed for 3 minutes 3 or 4 times until the water is clear.

I tested the water this morning. Chlorine is at 1.2 and stabilizer is 80. Everything else is in normal range.I'm getting ready to call in pool experts but I don't like giving up on trying to fix it myself. Anyone have any thoughts what might be the issue?

The first request will be a complete set of test results - from your own test kit.
Pool School - Test Kits Compared

No doubt you will need to SLAM --- Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Purchase a good test kit - I use the TF100 with a SpeedStir. You should order with the XL option as you will be doing alot of testing. Go to TFTestkits.net.

Lots more reading in Pool School ----

Take care.

Your sand could be channeled. If Leslies ever sold you any clarifiers it could have glued the sand into clods, which then break up on backwashing and leave huge crevasses that allow stuff to flow right through unfiltered. If there was any water left in the filter over the winter, it could have frozen and when ice expands, it crushes the standpipe. One crack is all it takes.

The thing to do now is to open up the filter and either empty it (a shop vacuum makes short work of that) to inspect everything or try Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

After that, we'll want to see some test results.

There have been a few threads showing what appears to be cloudy water coming out of the jets related to a SWG possibly interacting with something in the water.

You could try to see if the the SWG is on when you see the cloud and off when there is no cloud.

Your sand could be channeled. If Leslies ever sold you any clarifiers it could have glued the sand into clods, which then break up on backwashing and leave huge crevasses that allow stuff to flow right through unfiltered. If there was any water left in the filter over the winter, it could have frozen and when ice expands, it crushes the standpipe. One crack is all it takes.

The thing to do now is to open up the filter and either empty it (a shop vacuum makes short work of that) to inspect everything or try Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

After that, we'll want to see some test results.
I figured that would be the next best thing but wanted some expertise before I went through that process. Thanks. I'll let you know the results though it may take a day or 2.

- - - Updated - - -

There have been a few threads showing what appears to be cloudy water coming out of the jets related to a SWG possibly interacting with something in the water.

You could try to see if the the SWG is on when you see the cloud and off when there is no cloud.
I'll try this as well. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.