Cloudy water for my first open

Remi21

Sep 11, 2021
Media, PA
In the past I have paid to have someone open, but during the closing last year I had my pool guy walk me through the steps so I would know what to do if I decided to give opening a shot. I was able to get the pool open and equipment running but have run into an issue with the water. I had a brand new solid cover on the pool last winter so not much debris got in. The water was slightly cloudy when I opened it.

Prior to open I replaced the cartridges in my filter. I had to add some water from our well. Once open I added a couple 3” chlorine tabs to a floater and let the pump run for a day. Water was still cloudy and chlorine was in the .5-1 range. Lazily I went to Leslie’s and was told to add a pound of shock (Leslie’s Power Powder 73). I added that two days ago and water is still cloudy. Test Readings (TF-100 with new reagents) as of this afternoon were as follows:
PH-7.8
FC-2
CC-6
CH-550
TA-140
CYA-40

Is this looking like a I need to SLAM the pool? If that is the case is the Pool Math App the best tool to use to figure out how much chlorine to add? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is this looking like a I need to SLAM the pool? If that is the case is the Pool Math App the best tool to use to figure out how much chlorine to add? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In a word, yes. Likely you have algae. And yes, use PoolMath.

A quick test tonight will confirm algae or not. Do this test tonight...Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

You need to get FC above 3 for the OCLT to work. If you try tonight, you need to add liquid chlorine to the pool, add 5ppm, then circulate for 30 minutes before doing first OCLT test.

If you can't do tonight, then get your FC up tomorrow and to test tomorrow.

You fail, you SLAM.

In a word, yes. Likely you have algae. And yes, use PoolMath.

A quick test tonight will confirm algae or not. Do this test tonight...Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

You need to get FC above 3 for the OCLT to work. If you try tonight, you need to add liquid chlorine to the pool, add 5ppm, then circulate for 30 minutes before doing first OCLT test.

If you can't do tonight, then get your FC up tomorrow and to test tomorrow.

You fail, you SLAM.
Thanks will do

You should test tomorrow. Sunrise, Phila is 5:42. You need at least 8 hours for OCLT to be valid.

Get your FC up tomorrow night and test after sundown and before sunrise. fc at least 3. Circulate 30 minutes after last chlorine addition. Must run pump 30 minutes before evening and morning test. Need to be up early!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.