Cloudy water Chemicals looked good?!?

May 25, 2013
Elgin, IL
Good Morning,
I live outside of Chicago. 2 weeks ago my pool became very cloudy after several big storms. My assumption is that some algae formed at the time because the chlorine wasn't quite high enough for all the rain. I had some sediment on bottom of pool. I checked levels at that time (after 2 days of pouring rain) and here is what I had:
FC 2.5 CC .5 Alk 120 CYA 20 or less I added stabilizer and bleach etc. Next reading was FC 7.5 CC 1 ALk 120 CYA 25 again adjusted to shock didn't add more stablizer as it had not been 48 hrs yet. Next reading FC 11.5 cc .5 CYA 40 ALK 130 I got it up to 12 and it held and didn't drop for more than 24 hours. Water has still been cloudy and my readings this morning were FC 8.5 ALK 120 CYA 30

Any suggestions as I had done the SLAM process and everything held for more than a couple of days. SHould I have just kept adding bleach to shock level until it cleared even though it was holding at right level? I was gone over the weekend at a lacrosse tournament so added extra bleach before we left. It poured Friday and Sat/Sun very hot and humid. I will be gone again this weekend but temps will be in mid 70's not sure about rain yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I started using TF kits 4 summers ago and you guys have helped tremendously. I just can't get it to clear for some reason this time. It usually only takes a couple days and I am back in business.

Pool is 28,000 gallons should have mentioned and sand filter.

Tracey G.

Yah the weather has absolutely sucked here.

Are you testing an hour after adding chlorine to ensure you actually reached shock level? Have you brushed near the main drain to make sure it's not blocked by debris?

I would continue to target a shock level of 16 until the water is clear. It can take a little longer with a sand filter to fully achieve clarity. You can also try adding a little DE in the filter to catch the finer particles.

If your at 40 CYA then you need to SLAM at 16 FC, then maintain as much as possible.

The 3 criteria which all must be satisfied to indicate completion of the SLAM are

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.