Cloudy water after replaster and when to add stabilizer

Jun 30, 2015
Washington/DC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just completed pool rennovation. Plaster (Diamond Brite Watercolors) was done on April 22nd and fill completed April 25th. As part of contract, builder has been managing chemistry up until today. Here are my current readings using my TF-100:

Temp = 72
Ph = 7.6 (>7.5 but not as dark as 7.8)
FC = 3.0
CC = 0.5
TA = 140
CH = 200
CYA = 0

Everything was going fine until I woke up this morning to cloudy water.Looking back at builder notes it appears that 15 lbs of calcium was added on 5/7 and then again on 5/9. Didn't notice any issues after 5/7. If it makes any difference (not sure it does) we've had some rain the past two days. A few questions:

1. I presume the cloudiness is due to the rapid increase in calcium, vs gradually adding. How long should this take to subside - 1 day, 2 days? Seems to be mixed thoughts looking through other threads.

2. I need to get some stabilizer in as the chlorine just will burn off. Should I wait until the cloudiness clears?

3.With CC of 0.5, will regular chlorine dosing take care of that with time or do I need to bring up to shock level? I really would rather not increase chorline to shock level given the plaster is so new (recall reading somewhere high levels of chlorine not good in the first month or two).

Last edited:
Likely the calcium created some cloudiness as your TA is very high.
You can add CYA. Go to 30 ppm.
0.5 CC is inconsequential.

Likely the calcium created some cloudiness as your TA is very high.
You can add CYA. Go to 30 ppm.
0.5 CC is inconsequential.
Yes. I think they were targeting TA of 120 with the thought the Ph rise would be significant and the acid required would eventually lower. Their test results show 120. And mine was 140 testing twice. Not that it means anything but pool store showed 130 (had water tested for entertainment purposes). That and they were banking on lower calcium the first couple of weeks and compensating by keeping TA high. I think where they went “wrong” was increasing the calcium too quickly. Everything I read is that calcium should be brought up slowly, especially after new plaster. 30 lbs in two days is a lot!

Reactions: mknauss