Cloudy underwater, maintaining FC, TC same. Crystaly up top.

Re: Cloudy underwater, maintaining FC, TC same. Crystaly up

Sounds from your previous posts that this is what you are using to "vacuum" (post 22). This is just going to stir up all the fine dirt back into the water. Instead of trying to adapt different filter bags to this, buy a proper vacuum head that directs the fine dirt through the filter.
[attachment=0:9daq4jpn]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347422656.475908.jpg[/attachment:9daq4jpn]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347422656.475908.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347422656.475908.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 95

Tony, my name's Richard.

A 1 micron bag won't trap any dissolved substances of significance -- no ions or typical molecules. 1 micron is 10,000 Angstroms and a Calcium ion is around 1 Angstrom so 10,000 times smaller. Even Polyquat 60 which is a polymer is maybe only 250 Angstroms long so 40 times smaller. Green freshwater algae vary in size but average around 70,000 Angstroms (7 microns) so would generally be caught in a Slime Bag, some caught in DE, but single cells won't be caught by cartridge or sand (though clumps will). Bacteria vary in size, but many are smaller than algae at around 10,000 Angstroms (1 micron).

nedchavez said:
Sounds from your previous posts that this is what you are using to "vacuum" (post 22). This is just going to stir up all the fine dirt back into the water. Instead of trying to adapt different filter bags to this, buy a proper vacuum head that directs the fine dirt through the filter.

Kinda Sorta.
It's this vac in the upper right.
50006E_prd_150_1.jpg

I can't do a better vac without changing my pump, it's a measly 12.5gpm.
Whoop Whoop!! :crazy:

I dare to even guess what the cost of the fittings plus shipping would be from Intex to attach it to my skimmer, their stuff is way overpriced. Not to mention the cartridge isn't even likely going to grab it all. Although I suppose it will do more than what I'm doing now, I don't doubt that actually.
It's all about being economical in spending on something I'm only going to use for a short while.

If you have any cheap ideas for a place to get a 1-1/4" hose locally, so it doesn't cost me $25 or so for something I'll toss next season when I get a sand filter, I'm all ears. I have looked at Slowes /w no luck, no hoses like that of that size. Then I have to get a different head too, which won't fit a full size 1-1/2" hose for next year. Think an old vacuum hose for like a canister house vacuum at a thrift shop might work?
I could then just attach it to the sidewall where the skimmer hose attaches and just use it as is, just a hose end. It's not like the pool is huge or anything, LOL Kinda a PITA, but it'll work for now.

EDIT: Found this at Slowes, looks pretty cool, long and cheap too.
Utilitech 1-1/4" X 24' Discharge Hose

chem geek said:
Tony, my name's Richard.

A 1 micron bag won't trap any dissolved substances of significance -- no ions or typical molecules. 1 micron is 10,000 Angstroms and a Calcium ion is around 1 Angstrom so 10,000 times smaller. Even Polyquat 60 which is a polymer is maybe only 250 Angstroms long so 40 times smaller. Green freshwater algae vary in size but average around 70,000 Angstroms (7 microns) so would generally be caught in a Slime Bag, some caught in DE, but single cells won't be caught by cartridge or sand (though clumps will). Bacteria vary in size, but many are smaller than algae at around 10,000 Angstroms (1 micron).

Nice to meet you Richard. :handshake:
:)

Cool info, I learn something new all the time from you.
I'm a sponge, knowledge is gooood. :-D
I had no idea there was a unit of measurement below micron. Super awesome!!

Thanks Richard!

I am down to where I have only lost 0.5ppm in 5hrs after dark, 7:10pm to 12:10am with 0 CCs.

Does that count, or do I have to go longer?
Not too anxious right now to get up at 5:30am to check. :shock:

The only final criteria is whether the cloudiness as viewed from underwater has gone away, up top it's just like the photos. I don't know as if that's ever going to go away while shocking, as the water tends to be cloudy at such a high pH. At least from what I have read, don't know if that's really true. It was from an outside source. True/false?

Please advise... thanks everyone, you're all great!!

y_not said:
I am down to where I have only lost 0.5ppm in 5hrs after dark, 7:10pm to 12:10am with 0 CCs.

Does that count, or do I have to go longer?
Not too anxious right now to get up at 5:30am to check. :shock:

The only final criteria is whether the cloudiness as viewed from underwater has gone away, up top it's just like the photos. I don't know as if that's ever going to go away while shocking, as the water tends to be cloudy at such a high pH. At least from what I have read, don't know if that's really true. It was from an outside source. True/false?

Please advise... thanks everyone, you're all great!!
My water is crystal clear. When shocking it gets that way and stays that way. I have not seen cloudy water result from shocking.

- Sent using Tapatalk

y_not said:
I don't know as if that's ever going to go away while shocking, as the water tends to be cloudy at such a high pH.
The above is not true. I held mustard level shock for about 30 hours earlier this summer, and the water was so crystal clear it looked like it wasn't there. When the sun shined off the surface, the sparkles were almost blinding.

High pH will make your water cloudy if there are metals or calcium coming out of solution, but in your case the water is probably still dirty and you need to give the filter more time to work.

When you say "high pH," just how high are you talking? And when are you measuring it? Remember that the pH test is inaccurate if your FC is above 10.

Sent from my Exhibit II using Tapatalk.

No I'm not measuring it at these high FC levels, since it's inaccurate I don't bother. Why waste reagent & time?

I just know it goes high from the high pH concentration of the chlorine as it is kept high and doesn't drop until consumption occurs, thus being an acidic process and lowering the pH back down to where it started. Hence pH neutral, but not if caught during the process or 10+ PPM of FC levels.

My CH is 250, is that high enough to precipitate?

Speaking of shocking and update.
After I posted, couldn't sleep, story of my life the past 6mo or so, UGH!!
Anyway, right around 3am, about 3:10am, I tested again and lost 1.5ppm in those 3hrs between tested. Compared to the 0.5ppm I lost in 5hrs prior.
WHAT ON EARTH?? :?

So I guess I'm not done yet, but I have noooooooo idea what it's really killing, it's either dirty, my liner, or my water. HAHA!
Seriously though, there's nothing to be seen, nothing in the hoses or any nooks/crannies.
I'll have to check under the inflatable ring at the water line, I was also thinking inside the pump. Can it grow in there? Should I take it all apart, the actual impeller & impeller chamber and check in there?
Can't think of anywhere else it could be, the ladder is out and nothing else is in the pool but the skimmer which is clean, I checked it.

A little stumped as to what I'm actually shocking.

RE: Growing in filter...

As far as I understand all algae needs some light to grow. Therefore typically it cannot live inside the filter. Under steps, behind lights etc there is enough light leakage that it can.

My current guess is that your water is clear, but when you get in and stir up the sediment on the bottom, it makes a bit of cloudiness. Until you get a Better pump and possibly a good vacuum, you might have to live with it if the diesel bag thingy doesn't work. It's not easy to get rid of the fine stuff with the vac that come with the Intex pool. Even with the sand filter I still have a wee bit left. I think it is dirt from kid getting in and out and boys who mow the grass toward the pool, lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Someone found a whole bunch of algae in their frog chlorinator.
That's pretty sealed, isn't it?

Yeah, I would think it would, it is a plant afterall, so it requires photosynthesis. Who knows Joe?? lol

Filter is golden BTW, nice a squeaky clean.

Also, I just dunked my head underwater, I can actually start to see the bottom now, before it was all white, couldn't see a thing. SO YAYYYY!!
Starting to improve. Here's hoping it begins to clear up to where I can actually see.

PAGirl said:
My current guess is that your water is clear, but when you get in and stir up the sediment on the bottom, it makes a bit of cloudiness. Until you get a Better pump and possibly a good vacuum, you might have to live with it if the diesel bag thingy doesn't work. It's not easy to get rid of the fine stuff with the vac that come with the Intex pool. Even with the sand filter I still have a wee bit left. I think it is dirt from kid getting in and out and boys who mow the grass toward the pool, lol.

That is entirely possible, but even when I get in very gingerly and nothing on the bottom is disturbed except where I step, it still looks that way. Also, the above test I just mentioned before I saw your post, the test I had performed earlier & reported on, that is done leaning over the side of the pool, not even getting in it. So absolutely no disturbance whatsoever, save for the top of the water.

I'm going to try and find an underwater camera to borrow, so I can take a pic. Watch, it'll be clear through the lens. GRRR LOL That'd be just my luck. ;)

y_not said:
I'm going to try and find an underwater camera to borrow, so I can take a pic. Watch, it'll be clear through the lens. GRRR LOL That'd be just my luck. ;)

You don't have a thundercloud that follows you around wherever you go do you? :hammer:

UnderWaterVanya said:
y_not said:

You don't have a thundercloud that follows you around wherever you go do you? :hammer:

Actually, now that you mention it, I might. My cousin is Pig Pen and my mother married Zeus! :p

y_not said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
[quote="y_not":18ze7fd6]I'm going to try and find an underwater camera to borrow, so I can take a pic. Watch, it'll be clear through the lens. GRRR LOL That'd be just my luck. ;)

Actually, now that you mention it, I might. My cousin is Pig Pen and my mother married Zeus! :p[/quote:18ze7fd6]

I walked into that one! :whip:

Yeah you did Vanya! HEHE ;)

Nice to see someone has a sense of humor, a rather cool one at that.

Is Vanya your name? What does it mean, I have never seen it before. I had to look it up and IIRC it's Russian?

Re vacuum...have you considered the poolblastermax? They're cheap (about 150) and run on rechargeable battery. I've been using one all summer while debating robots and it works like a charm - you just have to drain it well, use knee high pantyhose to keep the filter bag clean and make disposable, and not overcharge it/store it indoors.

It's independent of your pump and filter and would likely help you nail that sediment quickly now and in the future. Just a suggestion.

I have a normal in ground vacuum with lots of pump power and I still prefer this unit because it's quick, easy and thorough. Just attaches to your regular pole.

Swampwoman said:
Re vacuum...have you considered the poolblastermax? They're cheap (about 150) and run on rechargeable battery. I've been using one all summer while debating robots and it works like a charm - you just have to drain it well, use knee high pantyhose to keep the filter bag clean and make disposable, and not overcharge it/store it indoors.

It's independent of your pump and filter and would likely help you nail that sediment quickly now and in the future. Just a suggestion.

I have a normal in ground vacuum with lots of pump power and I still prefer this unit because it's quick, easy and thorough. Just attaches to your regular pole.

Sounds pretty cool, but I'm shooting for a robot around $100-$150, so I think I'll wait till that.
I'm going to get in there with a longer hose and eat it up with that for now.

That does speak volumes though, that you have an in-ground vacuum and you prefer that because it's quick & easy.
You mention using pantyhose, I do hope that's not as its sole bag? Since that wouldn't catch what I'm trying to pick up, too fine, passes right through them.

No, it has a mesh bag -- by putting the pantyhose in it captures even the finest dirt. It also means you can just pull out the top and toss ... which is relevant during "tent catepillar season" during which you might vacuum up about a pound of the suckers in a single day ;)

I just like keeping the Crud out of the system and I don't like cleaning out the pump basket/resealing/priming etc.
I think they make an above ground pool version called the catfish for considerably less $ -- I don't know if it's as reliable though. Just in case you're 100 years old and still waiting for that $100 bot ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.