Cloudy Pool: Dead Algae

Just an update: I took a sample of water to the pool store, and could still see a large amount of white particles in the 25ml of water I had in a test tube. The pool tested:

Saturation Index: .2
TDS: 600
Free Chlorine: 20
pH: 7.9
Total Alkalinity: 144
Adjusted Alkalinity: 123
Total Hardness: 134
CYA: 70

I purchased a bottle of floc and added it, since for over 4 days now I've had a chlorine level around 20 and see no change at all in the clarity.

Something about the filter just doesn't sound right. With new sand in your filter and the amount of "stuff" you have floating in the pool the filter should be catching some of it and the pressure on the filter should be rising. You were adding DE to the filter as well! It just doesn't add up!

Perhaps the sand they added, is not the sand that should be in the filter?

If you could get a spec sheet for the specific sand they added, and compare to the filter mfr's recommended sand (size) you'd know if it's the filter media you should focus on, or something else.

I checked the sand (they left the empty bags) and it's the correct kind. The floc sort of worked, the pool is clearer but there's still lots of floating material. There's gotta be something wrong with the filter, because many of the chunks of crud are bigger than a grain of sand, so something isn't adding up.

I think I may just eat the $215 I spent getting the filter repaired and buy a new DE filter. They're only $230 on Amazon. I'd rather have a working pool then a swamp I keep dumping chemicals into.

24 hours after the floc there was big globs of white stuff hanging about halfway in the pool, and I was able to see the bottom. Vacuumed them and the bottom to waste. Turned the pump back on and it immediately went hazy again.

The test kit arrived and I tested a FC of 28 and a CC of 0. I'm stumped what to do... should I just buy a new filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't notice that it was, but the water was so cloudy it isn't easy to tell.

I got the new DE filter today and hooked everything up. Charged it, and within 15 minutes it needed to be bumped. I shut it off now that it's dark, because every 20 minutes or so it needs to be bumped and I don't want it running all night. The water is already noticeably clearer.

I just wanted to update that I'm totally cleared up now. Lots of vacuuming, thousands of gallons of water, $650 worth of supplies/filter stuff, 25lbs of DE, 150lbs of sand, and 18 gallons of 12.5% chlorine. I went from a green swamp with 6 inches of leaves and pine needles and soupy green stuff to a perfect pool which everyone is enjoying!
photo.jpg

Cute doggies!

Hey... I don't want to rain on your parade at all but I'm not really seeing a clear pool yet. I'm certain you should be expecting sparkly clear water after all that work. It looks good, it's not green. But it's also not clear.

How do all your numbers look? Is the pool consistently passing OLCT's and <.5ppm CC in all tests?

Filter working now?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.