Cloudy Pool (can see the shallow end)

0.25-0.5 is a pretty small amount. I bet it was over 5 when you first started. I would expect that you are very close to having it beat! I would watch your additions a lot closer now. With the amount you have been adding, you could easily overshoot pretty bad once it decides to hold. It seems that it is already beginning to hold as your FC is not dropping to 0 right away.

Good job at not giving up! I know its hard to be dumping in 30 gallons of bleach and not seeing any results!

I will bet you will be fine now with 30g of bleach now that your ammonia is about gone. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a bunch left over afterwards. Ammonia pools generally SLAM pretty quickly once the ammonia is gone. I think the ammonia does a decent job at killing algae.

We actually got the reagent in the mail today. I did the test and it has dropped. My test only goes to 30 so it looks like our CYA is now below 30. The ammonia tests at 0 now too. I'll scale back the FC to match 30 CYA or should I go lower?

If it were me, I would treat it as follows. These are not exact measurements obviously, but should get you in the ballpark.

Clear ~ 0 CYA
Cloudy ~ 10 CYA
Barely see the dot ~ 20 CYA

Using this I would first add enough CYA to bring it to 30. Do not worry about it for the rest of the SLAM. Just assume it is 30, and treat as such. CYA often takes a week to show up on tests. That is why you just add it and assume it is correct.

Scuba Steve, It is a little cloudy. So I'll add enough to bring it from 10 to 30 and continue with the SLAM. This morning the FC was 20.5 and CC was 1. So I have some room to move since the chart indicates the FC can now be lower due to my CYA. Thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted.

Still making progress. FC was at 17.5 and CC 1 today. The CYA in the socks is about half way disolved. The pool cleared up a lot but I saw some dirty spots and brushed them clean which along with the CYA seemed to cloudy up the pool a bit. It feels like we are getting close.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.