Cloudy, opaque pool even after chems

Any organic material in the pool such as your leaves are going to lengthen the shock process. They will cause your chlorine to be consumed faster than if it were only working on algae. Keep trying to get them all out for sure!

Dickie and Teresa said:
I think I'm getting there. Just vacuumed some more. FC is 9 and CC is 1. Calculator says to add 174 oz so I'm off to do that. I am also going to brush. My husband wants to backwash again. What do you guys say?
I think your husband is starting to get sparklypoolitis. :mrgreen:

Don't just backwash on a hunch; look at the pressure gauge; look at the flow from the returns. If it's moving water at a good clip and the pressure isn't climbing, leave it alone.

Load up on chlorine, brush a little to be sure it gets in those dead spots with poor circulation, then go away for a couple hours. It won't clear up any faster no matter how hard you stare at it.

sand filters (and I think other filters also, just maybe not to same degree) actually clean better as they start to "fill up" with debris. Excessive backwashing in some cases can even extend the time to clear the water- I only backwash when flow is minimal, or when pressure hits about 15 (my clean psi is 6)

I brushed and a few hours later checked my FC again. It was 13 and CC was 1. Added 58 oz of bleach. It looks like I am getting there, but the pool is still cloudy. There are still a few leaves I think, but most are out. I will check again tonight. Anything else I need to do?

Hi guys - I finally was at 14.5 just a minute ago. I put the required amount of bleach in and will check it again in the morning before the sun hits. What are my next steps? Earlier today I vacuumed some leaves, scooped the rest (I hope), then brushed the entire pool. It is still cloudy. I appreciate your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dickie and Teresa said:
Hi guys - I finally was at 14.5 just a minute ago. I put the required amount of bleach in and will check it again in the morning before the sun hits. What are my next steps? Earlier today I vacuumed some leaves, scooped the rest (I hope), then brushed the entire pool. It is still cloudy. I appreciate your help.

After you test in the morning, please post your number(s). Good job getting all the dead organic stuff out of the pool, and brushing...keep doing that. The cloudiness will take some time, but hopefully not too long, especially if the pool is holding chlorine overnight. Be patient and keep doing what you are doing.

you're on the right track- little loss last night, and CC going down; with all the organics gone, you should start noticing improvements every few hours as the filter works!
until you fix the gauge, do like zea said and judge based on your return- if strong flow, don't backwash; when flow is reduced about 1/2, then backwash!
Keep the FC at 15, and brush/vacuum some (not continuously!) and let the filter work now...

Thank you so much! I have ordered more FAS/DPD. Hope I don't run out before tomorrow as I am trying to keep my testing current. I'll go ahead and backwash even though we just did yesterday because the flow is so diminished. There were a lot of little critter that came up when I brushed yesterday. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.