Cloudy, milky water will not clear.

Re: Not sure where to start?

Thanks to TFP my pool chemistry has been good for the past week but the water still hasn't cleared completely and I've been having a problem all summer with the water getting cloudy every time I vacuum, so I decided it was time to open up the filter. This is what I found in my filter that has been used only 4 months.

[attachment=2:2vpkqc53]pool 014.jpg[/attachment:2vpkqc53]
[attachment=1:2vpkqc53]pool 016.jpg[/attachment:2vpkqc53]
[attachment=0:2vpkqc53]pool 017.jpg[/attachment:2vpkqc53]

Well, now I know why sand stopped coming out when I would backwash, all the loose sand is gone and I can see the laterals.

Does anyone know why this happened to the sand?

Attachments

• pool 014.jpg
    pool 014.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 533
  • pool 016.jpg
    pool 016.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 529
  • pool 017.jpg
    pool 017.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 527

Nature2 Express Mineralizer Pool Purifier?
Does that use kinda portland cement or Jello? Just kidding. Did you use any clarifiers, Flocculants or anything to clear the cloudiness? They can gum up in the sand. If sand was getting into the pool, it will continue to do so until you get the laterals fixed; properly operating, there won't be any sand coming out. Be sure to use something like #20 silica sand, NOT PLAY SAND, or anything that Home Despot might have, and I also wouldn't bother with zeolite, just my opinion. Good Luck!, you're on the right path now.

Does anyone know why this happened to the sand?
Something is broken off or incorrectly installed inside your filter. Remove ALL the sand and inspect the laterals and the center pipe carefully. YOu should find something disconnected or badly broken.

I don't think so. I don't know what Baqua is?Baquacil is an alternative sanitizer that is not well liked here for pools, bleach is preferred. Are those chunks of sand hard as concrete? I looked at your build pics, very nice!!!, but is there maybe some way that your deck concrete got into the pool and solidified in the filter? Pump pressure then could have broken a lateral, and started your seeing sand in the pool. Did the filter make a lot of banging noise? Follow your filter makers directions for re-filling sand, I used a tennis ball on top of the pipe to keep sand out of mine. Should end up as good as new!

New2Me said:
Nature2 Express Mineralizer Pool Purifier?
Does that use kinda portland cement or Jello? Just kidding. Did you use any clarifiers, Flocculants or anything to clear the cloudiness? They can gum up in the sand. If sand was getting into the pool, it will continue to do so until you get the laterals fixed; properly operating, there won't be any sand coming out. Be sure to use something like #20 silica sand, NOT PLAY SAND, or anything that Home Despot might have, and I also wouldn't bother with zeolite, just my opinion. Good Luck!, you're on the right path now.

That's funny about the Nature2, after finding TFP I see that the Nature2 is a gimick.

The PC my have used something to clear the water. Sand started coming out the discharge pipe when backwashing when the pool was about a month old. Sand never went into the pool.

Make sure you use Swimming Pool Filter Sand. You get it at pool stores, HD and Lowes. It should be white. My eyes are old but that sand doesn't look like the sand I took out of my filter. It looks like normal sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hotrod30 said:
Make sure you use Swimming Pool Filter Sand. You get it at pool stores, HD and Lowes. It should be white. My eyes are old but that sand doesn't look like the sand I took out of my filter. It looks like normal sand.

The sand I took out of the filter looks like normal sand to me too. The new sand I got from the pool store is white. After putting the pea gravel and new sand in the filter the pool water cleared up overnight. It's the first time all summer that it has been clear. I guess a working filter will help that. :-D

Thanks to all the help I got from this forum I finally have a clear pool.

Thank you !

crewchief47 said:
This is a great thread! Could I suggest a title change from a mod for search purposes?

You are right, it is a great thread and a title change would make it more easily found for search purposes!

I sent a PM to Bob (OP) to see what his idea for a new title would be.

Edit: Changed title to "Cloudy, milky water will not clear."

Thanks, Bob. :-D

Rockcrawler said:
Also a good picture of the cyrstal clear water would be nice to sum everything up

This is so nice :-D

pool032.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.