birdman579

Dec 18, 2020
Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First time closing and have a cartridge filter. I plan to connect my Cyclone to one of the skimmer or return fittings to blow out the lines. Question: do I drain the system first (open pump drain plugs, open filter drain plugs)? Also, do I remove the filter cartridges before blowing the lines? Going from the skimmer, the pressurized air will go through the filter (I don’t have a multi-port filter valve). Is it better to blow out the lines with or without the cartridges? My guess is remove them, but then the piping inside my Hayward filter is somewhat unsupported. Is that a problem? Thanks!

Question: do I drain the system first (open pump drain plugs, open filter drain plugs)?
You'll want to leave the drain plugs in when you are trying to push air in either direction. Whether you drain the pump/filter first (then replace the plugs before pressurization) shouldn't matter. If you drain water first, the air will still push the residual water out.

do I remove the filter cartridges before blowing the lines?
I would. Less resistance for more efficient air flow. Plus, you'll probably give the carts) a good cleaning before their winter slumber.

Reactions: Newdude
You'll want to leave the drain plugs in when you are trying to push air in either direction. Whether you drain the pump/filter first (then replace the plugs before pressurization) shouldn't matter. If you drain water first, the air will still push the residual water out.
Intuitively, I understand putting the filter drain plug back in (that outlet is so big that would divert massive volume of air away while blowing the lines)... but I thought you would want to leave the small drain plugs for pumps and heater out, so that while you are blowing the lines you blow the pump and (most importantly) the heater, pushing out all residual water from the equipment...? Thoughts?

Thoughts?
With a cyclone, chances are it doesn't matter. But for most compressors and shop vacs, they were barely getting the job done and every little bit of air escaping hurts.

Plus, the drains are all so low in the equipment, even if they left a half inch if water in there, it could never hurt anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.