Closing Water Temperature

Jun 16, 2013
Freehold NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm trying to convince my husband to wait to close our pool until the water temp is 60 or below. I follow trouble free pool religiously and he allows me to manage it all summer. BBB only. Now he wants to close and the temp is 68. Any comments that I can share?

You can close the pool at 68 degrees. My pool is being closed tomorrow. The key is to either bring up to SLAM level and allow levels to drift down a little bit or keep levels somewhat normal and add algaecide. My levels were at 7.5 today and I added PolyQuat 60. By tomorrow morning around 11 a.m., my pool will be closed. Although, I have a solid tarp and open up one month prior to the holiday each year.

Make sure that you open up early. What type of cover do you have and who is closing your pool?

You could do what I do if you don't mind a little extra work. I put my cover on in early to mid September due to a large amount of trees near the pool, but don't actually close/winterize the pool at that time. I bring the pool up to shock level before putting the cover on and recheck the chemistry every couple of weeks and adjust as needed. If I have to add anything (which is rare if it was properly balanced) I just add it through the skimmer. By October I stop running the pump on a daily basis and turn it on for a few hours once a week to let it circulate a little. Once I see multiple night of below freezing temps in the extended forecast I give in and winterize it. By then the water is usually well below 60. I run the pump overnight for the random night expected to go below freezing (usually averages out to 1 or 2 nights here). Mine is pretty easy because I only have 1 skimmer and 2 returns. The returns are on opposite corners (one in the shallow end and one in the deep end on the opposite side). I only have to fold those two corners of the cover back to access the returns for winterizing and the skimmer lid isn't blocked by the pool cover. It's extra work, but I prefer it much more than dealing with algae (something I have not seen in my pool for years).

You can close if he is that set on it. I have closed pools with temperatures over 70 and opened to clear water. BUT, the risk does increase greatly that you will have to clear up a green swamp in the Spring. At least if you close now and it is green in the Spring you can turn to him and say "If we waited two more weeks this wouldn't have happened."

Mine hit mid 60s and I thought I could be lazy and not check it for a while, I usually close when its 50 or lower. 2 weeks later and it went green, personally I would wait till its cooler.

Are you stating that 2 weeks after the water was mid 60's, you had a green pool? Or is this the ambient temperature? If so, this is a chemistry problem. My friends pool has been down for 2 weeks in NJ because of liner and valve replacement. His water only has small green streaks from algae, but it did not go completely green. This is without filtration. Still trying to get an idea how your water went green? What were your levels prior and was the pump/filter running?

Sorry for the late reply. I'm talking about water temp. My chemical levels were good, thought I could be lazy with the cool water but after 2 weeks the chlorine had dropped enough to allow algae to grow. I'm used to sparkling water so when I say my pool went green it was more just some green streaks and when stirred up the pool had a very slight cloudy green to it. An easy SLAM and all was good. I guess my point is, personally, mid 60's water temp is too high the close.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
in 10 years I have never waited for the water to reach 60 degrees for closing. I always close the last weekend in September no matter what the water temp. This year it was about 66. HOWEVER, I always bring it to SLAM level the day before closing. I also monitor the FC once a week for the entire month of October (after closing). Never has it dropped below suggested FC for my CYA level (about FC=5) during that time. Not once have I opened up to a green pool in 10 years. I find it's much more important to open early (in my case, I open in early May) than to close when the water temp below 60.

Just my $.02 from my experience.

in 10 years I have never waited for the water to reach 60 degrees for closing. I always close the last weekend in September no matter what the water temp. This year it was about 66. HOWEVER, I always bring it to SLAM level the day before closing. I also monitor the FC once a week for the entire month of October (after closing). Never has it dropped below suggested FC for my CYA level (about FC=5) during that time. Not once have I opened up to a green pool in 10 years. I find it's much more important to open early (in my case, I open in early May) than to close when the water temp below 60.

Just my $.02 from my experience.

I follow the same pattern, but once the pool is closed, no levels are monitored in October. Although, I do have a solid tarp as well. I would not recommend closing in early September with a mesh cover as this will not be a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.