Closing question.

hurt5150

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2013
Missouri
Here are my numbers this am. FC 5, CC 0, pH 7.2, TA 80, CYA 20.
I want to close today if I can, it has been a whirlwind fall with very little time to spare for me. I haven't added bleach for over a week and I am still at 5. (I keep solar cover on it all the time.).

My questions are: should I raise my pH, should I worry about the low CYA, and should I do anything about the TA?

I know the closing instructions for above ground say to leave at "shock" level for 24 hours. I really don't have time for that and I have been vigilant about keeping my chlorine levels at goal all summer so I feel ok about that part. Please don't hesitate to correct me on that also.

I am running out of time for closing due to temp issues here and I work full time also. If I absolutely have to, I could postpone this until next weekend but I really don't want to. (Next weekend is our wedding anniversary and the weather today is beautiful).

Thanks in advance--Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My questions are: should I raise my pH, should I worry about the low CYA, and should I do anything about the TA?
No, No, and No.

What I would suggest is to raise your FC to SLAM (maybe 12 ppm) and close up.

Find the time.....it's really important to help you open to a clear pool.

I did plan to raise to slam/shock, was just worried about the other numbers. Just wondering if the 24 hour spell was an absolute. Thanks so much for the input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to clarify my pH comment. My main reason for raising pH a bit is to make sure it is above 7.2 and not below it. Sometimes the pH test is tricky to read at lower or higher readings. 7.2 is fine for closing. The reason for raising to shock level and waiting 24 hours is to see how well it holds to make sure there isn't some pea soup cooking in the pool. But, your situation sounds fine for raising it and closing it. Waiting 24 hours just increases the likelihood of opening to clear water in the spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.