Closing pool with a heat pump

Mar 15, 2016
Easley, SC
I am finishing up getting my heat pump installed and was wondering what would need to be done differently now with the heat pump when closing the pool for the season. I will have a full bypass setup once it's all installed so I can totally close the heat pump water supply. Not sure it that makes a difference in closing or not. I do not see any type of drain plugs on the heat pump. Do I blow all the lines out like normal and once everything is sealed up unscrew the unions on the heat pump or leave them connected? Do I leave the heat pump in the loop when I blos the lines out? Attached is the piping setup I have to be installed. Everything is ready to install, just have to get the heat pump in place and connect it. Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated.

20180929_122014.jpg

There is no drain plug on heat pumps, blow the lines, add antifreeze if you wish. Blow both by pass and main line. There is however a drain plug on the bottom pan that drains out water that accumulates from the sweating that occurs in the summer.

I looked up the manual since I purchased this used. It states to disconnect the lines and then blow them out. I suppose leaving them connected and blowing all lines out would accomplish the same results. It does say to leave the unions disconnected so I may do that once its all blown out, just in case it still has some water in the system it will have a place to drain. I also checked the bottom pan and I do not see a drain hole on any of the four sides. Maybe it has punch outs in the bottom to allow it to drain? I was hoping it would have one hole so I could attach a pipe to direct it away from the slam.

As far as blowing the lines out.... I will blow the lines out thru the heater first and then shut those two ports off and open the bypass. Then continue my typical process as I did before the heat pump was installed. Sound like a good plan?

Joshua:

No need to disconnect the unions. As you clear the lines, air travels through the heater for at least 10 minutes, if not more. Clear out the bypass first, not last, and then the heater and be done with it. There really is no remaining water in the lines. The disconnect is to allow water to drain and dry, but you will still have moisture through the winter. You run the risk of critters entering your heater. Leave closed as this is your best bet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.