Smokenjoe420

May 27, 2023
Clinton, Tn
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I don't have a cover for the skimmer opening. I am draining water 6" below return opening. Water level will be 8-10" from skimmer opening. Am I fine to leave skimmer open and hole unplugged at bottom of skimmer basket area? Any tips would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20231015_115043.jpg
    20231015_115043.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231015_115046.jpg
    20231015_115046.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 9
I don't have a cover for the skimmer opening. I am draining water 6" below return opening. Water level will be 8-10" from skimmer opening. Am I fine to leave skimmer open and hole unplugged at bottom of skimmer basket area? Any tips would be appreciated.
Rainwater can get into the skimmer and fill it up enough to freeze and crack it during winter. Best to blow out the lines and put a gizmo on the skimmer or plug it and stuff pool noodles in the opening.

Reactions: Newdude
Rainwater can get into the skimmer and fill it up enough to freeze and crack it during winter. Best to blow out the lines and put a gizmo on the skimmer or plug it and stuff pool noodles in the opening.
When you say blow out the lines; I've disconnected all the lines and pump is being stored in garage. I don't have a cover for the front of it. When you say plug it and put pool noodles inside, I don't understand. Are saying plug the bottom hole and then put noodles inside?

. Are saying plug the bottom hole and then put noodles inside?
Yes.

But you also need to blow out any lines that have start in them, both at the pad and in the skimmer that are above the frost line, which is about 6” for us realistically. Any water right below the skimmer that’s in the line when you plug it can freeze and crack the pipe. Same goes for the equipment pad with the filter, heater, valves, etc. You can’t let any water freeze in those.

I tend to remove all piping/flexible tubing where you can see the ground from the top of the skimmer. But I have also closed the skimmer inside the pool with either a hard winterizing plate on our old pool or now a Aquador cover which is like a Tupperware lid. I've closed it like this for 20+ years without any issues. If you have any pipes attached to the skimmer you do need to protect them from getting water in them and freezing. When our new pool was installed the pool store didn't use unions anywhere on the piping for winterization which I took care of when I closed the pool for making sure the whole system got winterized. I look at the open top of the skimmer on an AG pool like a funnel where any water entering won't be staying, yes there may be some residue water that can freeze but it is so little as to not be a problem. If you have trees around the pool just make sure you visit the pool as they're falling to clean out the skimmer and not get a clog that can hold water.

Reactions: Newdude
I leave mine open at the bottom just as you show in your pic - i do throw a little foam football in there that doesn’t obstruct the bottom opening just in case some ice forms. I usually lower the water 3-4 inches below the skimmer. I keep my cover pumped off pretty good.
A gizmo screwed in would block the hole from draining which would then keep any excess water from draining & can lead to ice pulling on the skimmer but you could throw some cut up noodle pieces in there. Gizmos are really for inground pools or when you cannot disconnect the plumbing & are blowing out lines.

I leave mine open at the bottom just as you show in your pic - i do throw a little foam football in there that doesn’t obstruct the bottom opening just in case some ice forms. I usually lower the water 3-4 inches below the skimmer. I keep my cover pumped off pretty good.
A gizmo screwed in would block the hole from draining which would then keep any excess water from draining & can lead to ice pulling on the skimmer but you could throw some cut up noodle pieces in there. Gizmos are really for inground pools or when you cannot disconnect the plumbing & are blowing out lines.
That's about what I ended up doing. I'm probably 5" below bottom edge of front skimmer plate. I left the bottom hole unplugged and put pieces of pool noodles in it. I used a plug on the return jet. The water is only 2-3" below the return.

Attachments

• 20231015_105951.jpg
    20231015_105951.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231015_150149.jpg
    20231015_150149.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231015_095005.jpg
    20231015_095005.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Mdragger88
That's about what I ended up doing. I'm probably 5" below bottom edge of front skimmer plate. I left the bottom hole unplugged and put pieces of pool noodles in it. I used a plug on the return jet. The water is only 2-3" below the return.
That’s exactly what I do- fyi you don’t want to drain the pool below the surrounding ground since it’s buried as this can cause collapse/cave in. When using a cover pump you’ll need to pay attention that you aren’t pumping through the cover & accidentally lowering the pool water too much. I plan to deploy an upside down frisbee under my pump this year to prevent this. Others have used bucket lids as well.
As far as the cover & cable goes you want to be sure its not routed below the skimmer as that will pull on the skimmer when precipitation builds on the cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.