fanis.merk

Aug 3, 2023
Turkey
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Ok. Although I have learned about pool chemistry and maintaining my pool thanks to this site, I am totally new to closing a pool. The problem I am having is the articles on this site are tailored towards pools in US. Around here most of us have concrete overflow pools with separate overflow tanks (the water first overflows into a smaller basin and then sucked to filter), fully tiled, no skimmers, and return jets are at the bottom (hence lowering the water level below the return jets have no meaning for us). Winters are quite mild and no freezing occurs. In order to translate the given advice I would like to understand the objectives behind closing a pool.

Before the winter many people here drain the pool to half and let the algae grow and the frogs sing. Beginning of summer pool is fully drained and cleaned with acid and then refilled with clean water. Why is the practice like this? Pool is drained to half to protect a concrete pool from seismic shocks and avoid overflow from rain. Then it is fully drained and cleaned with acid. Tiles are very resistant to acid. At most you get grout damage which you can fix every 5 years or so. Many people prefer to swim in a freshly filled water rather than water from the previous season. Some people remove the pumps some don’t. I know it is probably not eco friendly but it is how things are done.

If I would like to do a better job than this, and I assume that’s how TFP guys would do, what are my objectives if I don’t expect winter freeze?

One option is to keep the pool running in winter. My pump is not a variable speed pump but I have a timer built in. Do I simply cover the top of the pool? Note that it is not very easy to cover an overflow pool as water needs to overflow from sides. Do I keep the SWG on? How long do I run the pump per day? I can also circulate the water from the deep end drain if I want to disable the overflow tank (just mentioning as an option).

But do I really want this? Water is cheap and electricity is expensive around here and getting the pool cleaned beginning of summer is cheaper than running the pool over the winter even if I add the costs of the salt and cyanuric acid.

Or is my objective to be eco friendly? If not why should I keep the water in the pool during winter and make sure it doesn’t grow algae? Or is it because draining the pool is a problem? I can easily drain my pool because I already have drain piping which enables me to empty the pool to a place where it is ok by local rules and regulations.

Basically what are my objectives for winter and what am I trying to achieve?

Thanks

Basically what are my objectives for winter and what am I trying to achieve?

I think you answered much of that in your first post.

I think your objective is to prevent damage to the pool over the winter and have the easiest path to getting swimming again in the Spring.

Anyway that gets you there is good enough.

Merhaba! What part of Turkey? If you are southern or SE you may be able leave your pool open year round. Many people do- like me. Frankly the maintenance is so little over winter and much easier that evicting singing frogs, draining and acid washing. At a water temperature of 50F, algae has a tough time growing. At 40F, it's near impossible. If there is a super cold event, I just keep my pump running all day.

Merhaba! What part of Turkey? If you are southern or SE you may be able leave your pool open year round. Many people do- like me. Frankly the maintenance is so little over winter and much easier that evicting singing frogs, draining and acid washing. At a water temperature of 50F, algae has a tough time growing. At 40F, it's near impossible. If there is a super cold event, I just keep my pump running all day.
If I would be on site I would probably keep the pool open. Are you on site during winter? If not, who maintains the pool? How often do you vacuum and backwash? Do you have an automatic evacuation pipeline against heavy rain? I am planning to install one to the overflow basin.

All things being equal one part isn't. Acid washing takes a toll in the plaster if that's what you got so minimizing that yearly practice will lend itself to a longer plaster life.
Concrete pools are not exactly like the plaster build. It is done by installing heavy steel reinforcement and building a mold around the steel cage that is 10inches thick and filling the mold with a type of concrete that is resistant to water. On top of that we have additional later of isolation material. On top of that you get tiles and grout. Yes it damages the grout for sure but penetration to concrete is probably negligible.

If I would be on site I would probably keep the pool open. Are you on site during winter? If not, who maintains the pool? How often do you vacuum and backwash? Do you have an automatic evacuation pipeline against heavy rain? I am planning to install one to the overflow basin.
Yes, I am on site all winter. I vacuum as needed which is more in Autumn with leaves. I back wash when filter pressure rises but it's typically twice in summer and once in winter. Summer depends on how much sunscreen and tanning oil people use. I do have an automatic evacuation pipeline (called overflow drain in the US) on my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.