Closing mess

Eilum

Jun 19, 2016
Jackson NJ
Closed pool but after plugging the returns, still had some bubbles coming through. Tightening the plug didnt help. Then, went to pump basket and found it full of water even though pipes were running dry air (main drain was open, could water have come through there?)

Removed plugs from pump, filter and heater and tons of water drained out. Does that mean I didnt blow out the lines properly?

My question is if I did good-enough or if there is a danger that pipes will freeze this winter. If so, what do I have to do to close properly?

Eilum:

Please explain in detail (and I mean in detail) from start to finish and every step you took in your closing. Air bubbles could mean that the winter plug is bad, the plug is not flush, or the liner near the threads was not cut properly which could cause some issues. When I close my pool, all plugs are inspected with goggles as I am closing each return. With the plug flush, hand tighten until the bubbling stops. The water is drained below the skimmers by about 1" and Gizzmo's installed, and the main drain is done with air trapped in the line (shut off valve) closed. If the valve is opened, all water will rush back to the basket.

Hard to tell. Please provide more information. This is why I use goggles underwater. You will only stick your head in the pool along with your arms, laying on the pool patio. Thanks!

Please stop using the "occasional clarifier". You have the best kit on the street and should never need to use a clarifier.

The liner has nothing to do with a return leaking air. The fitting is a complete unit and piping is glued into it.

Something between the threaded housing, faceplate and black winter plug is where the air is leaking, not the return. Sometimes the pool company does not cut the liner clean. This happened yesterday to a return for a friend that we closed his pool. The liner (small amount of about 1/2" by 1/2") was tucked between the threaded portion of the return, faceplate and black winter plug. Not a clean job, but this was the issue. In that area is where the bubbles were. We tried a few times and then I carefully inspected that area and this is what was there. Maybe a coincidence, but this is what it appeared to be.

I backed off the small piece and placed the plug back in flush and no more leaks. We are talking about the inside, not the outside. Even though the black plugs expand, the slightest imperfection will cause an issue, and this is why I mentioned this. Most of the time, this is not the issue, but for this pool, one return was flawed by the liner.

I tried to put the black plug flush several times but finally just closed up the pool and installed the cover figuring that a few air bubbles won't be a problem. My question was what the risk is if I leave it like this all winter.

The alternative is removing the cover and starting all over again, which I do not want to do.

I am taking the clarifier out of my signature

Risk in our area is really associated with how cold the temperature becomes. It takes a lot of water in the plumbing, a very long cold deep freeze, and a lot of pressure for pipes to burst underground. One would think that your plugs would pop out from the force, but we are talking about NJ, the state where the weather is real strange.

I do not believe you will run into a problem, but in this case, maybe you can add antifreeze to the lines if you feel better. You will just have to find how to get this in the line. It is hard to tell without being there.

One local pool company does not use plugs (which I am not in favor of) and they claim that expansion of water and ice is best and they see more problems with closing pools with air.

If you have unions after the Sand Filter, you can disconnect and pour a few gallons in the lines. You have to be comfortable with the closing. The first year I closed my pool, I literally removed all 8 return plugs and started all over. Today, I do things differently.

Exactly how many returns do you have, and how many plugs were leaking air? I have run into this problem even with my pools and my friends pools when we close, so it is not uncommon. You just have to figure out why? Yesterday, we took one leaking plug out, placed without blowing the lines and then cleared the lines with the last 2 plugs out. Luckily this worked.

Thanks. I have three returns and two were leaking air. I was thinking of just opening the top of the gizmos and pouring antifreeze down there. Maybe that would work best

Your skimmers are not on the same run as the 3 returns. The skimmers are before the pump, and the returns are after the filter. Upload some pictures of your equipment pad tomorrow from the front, top, and sides and we can figure out where to add antifreeze.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you describe (In detail) how you closed your pool? Details are best. Want to confirm that you cleared the lines properly on both ends (The suction and return side). Did you winterize your filter? Pump? Remove everything that needs to be inside? Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.