LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2015
"East of the River" CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm running low on OTO and pH reagents. I found Clorox replacements at Wal-mart that only "require" 4 drops.

I'm curious if anyone has found success with these with the current beaker (Clorox beaker looks smaller) or do I have use the standard 5 drops? Are they worth it value-wise (under $4.)? That said, it is not so much a money issue, as it is value and time. I can afford the Taylor drops, but if I can get comparable stuff immediately, all the better.

Thanks.

It isn't the number of drops that will be the issue, it is whether the color blocks are different. Different phenol red mixtures turn slightly different colors so they need to be used with the color block they were designed for. On top of that, it has been tested here a few times over the years that some phenol red mixtures don't do well with chlorine levels where we keep them. Taylor specifically makes theirs to work accurately up to 10 ppm FC. Others do not and that has been shown side by side to be an issue.

I have a old Walmart oto test kit that looks nearly the same as the tf100 one. I picked up the Clorox refill and use 5 drops, I tried 4 several times and didn't look like it made a difference. The Clorox oto appears smaller test tubes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.