Clear O3 Bulb Not Lighting

jk9401

Sep 22, 2023
Florida
I purchased a home with a pool setup that includes the Paramount Clear O3. The bulb was burned out (black inside the tube) so I ordered a replacement bulb ($102) but have not been able to get the new bulb to light up. I I have read many of the threads in this forum that question the usefullness of the Clear O3 in my outdoor pool, but since I started down this path I am trying to figure out why I cannot get it to work. Paramount's instructions say that if it does not light up than the ballast must be bad - so I bought and installed a replacement ballast ($216) - yet still the bulb will not light up. I got the vendor to send another UV bulb thinking it might have been the original replacement - but still it does not light up. I have double checked the ballast installation and power is flowing so I am at a loss as what to try next. Could there be a safety switch that is preventing the bulb from lighting? Any tips would really be appreciated - of course the best tip might be to ditch the whole thing. Thanks

Any tips would really be appreciated - of course the best tip might be to ditch the whole thing. Thanks
I would have saved you $318 had you come here first. :(

The sun burns off between 2 and 4 ppm FC daily, possibly more for you in FL. It's less in the early/late season and higher in the peak season like a bell curve.

You need to dose chlorine to match and slightly exceeded that daily loss. Period. Full stop.

If you do so, algae is never a concern and your pool is perfectly sanitized.

But people want to do less, so they fall for the blatant lies of the secondary sanitizer manufactures claiming you'll need less Chlorine. Unless it builds a tent over your pool, it does zero for lowering the daily FC loss from the sun, no matter what they claim. If you use less Chlorine as they claim you can, you're all but guaranteed an algae outbreak. Which, ironically, then the unit starts to help. Maybe instead of 4 FC to the sun and 4 FC to algae, you only need 4 FC to the sun and 2 FC to algae. (No idea what the #s would be, just made up as an example)

It would have been much better to just add the dang 4 FC in the first place and not need the O3/UV to help. It can't overcome an active algae bloom but it may help mask it while it festers.

Anywho, when you don't have algae, it will add more UV loss to your daily loss from the sun. It's not powerful enough to really be noticed, but oh the irony.

They do serve a purpose in commercial pools with high bather loads, and indoor pools / covered hot tubs with don't get the natural benefits from the sun burning off CCs. But they just don't pan out for outdoor residential pools.

I purchased a home with a pool setup that includes the Paramount Clear O3. The bulb was burned out (black inside the tube) so I ordered a replacement bulb ($102) but have not been able to get the new bulb to light up. I I have read many of the threads in this forum that question the usefullness of the Clear O3 in my outdoor pool, but since I started down this path I am trying to figure out why I cannot get it to work. Paramount's instructions say that if it does not light up than the ballast must be bad - so I bought and installed a replacement ballast ($216) - yet still the bulb will not light up. I got the vendor to send another UV bulb thinking it might have been the original replacement - but still it does not light up. I have double checked the ballast installation and power is flowing so I am at a loss as what to try next. Could there be a safety switch that is preventing the bulb from lighting? Any tips would really be appreciated - of course the best tip might be to ditch the whole thing. Thanks
You might check the fixture for corrosion on the contacts where the bulb sits. But TFP doesn’t just question the usefulness, it plainly talks about the uselessness. You’de be better off returning both and putting the money toward a salt chlorinator if you don’t already have one.

Depending on the frequency/wavelength of the UV light, you might not be able to see any actual light because UV is outside of human perception.

It is also dangerous to look directly at UV light.

That is why it has a glow tube that lights up.

Does the glow tube light up?

You can also measure for amperage to see if the bulb is working.

In any case, UV produces very little ozone and you do not need, and probably do not want, ozone going into you pool.

I would just remove it.

1695482826672.png

1695483089218.png

Reactions: Newdude
I see nothing from the glow tube outside the unit - it is old a frosted over but I expect to have seen some illumination - and the paramount instructions note the color will turn to a steady blue when on. I am no electrical expert but there is not a lot to this system - a new ballast with supplied power connected to a bulb. Everything checks out but no glow....

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.