Cleaning SWG cells

I think I might like that family pool store. maybe.

yes, turn off the pump first. Otherwise, water will spew everywhere

Algae will not effect the salt reading.

You will loose salt due to dilution, which is from backwashing and refilling with refresh water. and from draining due to rain, and splashout, etc. I lost enough salt since November that I had to add 7 bags in my 15K gallons. So, 10 bags to start up in springtime is not unusual in a larger pool like yours.

3 weeks ago I helped friends of mine with theirs. They had to add 11 bags to their 20K gallons.

There is actually a small family owned pool store in town that uses the tritation test. I'm not sure if they are open on sundays. They are the pool store who told me I should never put bags of shock in our salt water pool so they have different philosophies than the chain stores it seems.

I should have gone there first, but I had a "route" I had planned before teen pool boy dumped my water out.

I watched the video and think I can clean the cell myself. I assume you turn the pool off before you disconnect it? He didn't say that, but it seems common sense.

If we had algae, could the pool have been that low on salt to where 10 bags didn't register over 3,000 ppm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add salt. Use pool math to tell you how much.

I trust your Easy TOuch

+1 on this! Your easy touch reading is direct from your swg. And the swg is the thing that needs to be happy with the salt level. I would add salt too. Aim for 3200-3400. Up to 4500 ppm is fine. And intellichlor will make chlorine even if it is higher than 4500. I know this! :)

As far as pool stores go, they are pretty good. They will teach you how to do things and test your water without pressure and they don't use the electronic test. They had talked to me about CYA too. They did sell me some Silvertrine for algae, which apparently gave me a temporary fix and false sense of security. So, as far as pool stores go, it's a decent one. But I like doing my own testing better.

Glad to know about the salt, we've just never added that much before. I'll go ahead and add salt to see if the easy touch changes at all and try to get a second reading for back up.

Thanks again.

I think I might like that family pool store. maybe.

yes, turn off the pump first. Otherwise, water will spew everywhere

Algae will not effect the salt reading.

You will loose salt due to dilution, which is from backwashing and refilling with refresh water. and from draining due to rain, and splashout, etc. I lost enough salt since November that I had to add 7 bags in my 15K gallons. So, 10 bags to start up in springtime is not unusual in a larger pool like yours.

3 weeks ago I helped friends of mine with theirs. They had to add 11 bags to their 20K gallons.

Last year when we first got our SWG mine alerted me to low salt. Of course I added more salt. Well neighbors daughter came to swim and told me the water tasted like the ocean. Her Mom told me I needed to clean the cell. Once cleaned it was fine. I have used vinegar as well as MA mixed with water. MA is much fasterand easier. I also have a extra soft bristle toothbrush I use if there is stuff that just needs a little nudge to let go.

That's on my list tomorrow!

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Last year when we first got our SWG mine alerted me to low salt. Of course I added more salt. Well neighbors daughter came to swim and told me the water tasted like the ocean. Her Mom told me I needed to clean the cell. Once cleaned it was fine. I have used vinegar as well as MA mixed with water. MA is much fasterand easier. I also have a extra soft bristle toothbrush I use if there is stuff that just needs a little nudge to let go.

Pooldv and DivinDave were right, the easy touch knows!! I added salt this morning. I only had one bag. The green lights are back on and the easy touch now reads 2850. And the lights are all green again. I will get more salt and bring it up to the recommended level of 3400.

When the hubby can be here to turn off the breaker, (I don't do electrical - yet [emoji12]) we will clean the cell anyway.

Thanks again everyone! It's nice to not be dependent on the pool stores!

+1 on this! Your easy touch reading is direct from your swg. And the swg is the thing that needs to be happy with the salt level. I would add salt too. Aim for 3200-3400. Up to 4500 ppm is fine. And intellichlor will make chlorine even if it is higher than 4500. I know this! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Remember the swg salt reading will increase as the pool water warms up. I only trust my Taylor test numbers unless the water temp is 76-78 degrees. That is the point where my IC40 salt readings matches my drops test numbers. By doing so I avoid adding too much salt; which I've done more than once. I also have learned that cleaning my cell every 3 months aids in more accurate salt readings regardless of water temperature even though there is no visible evidence of any scale or bubbling or inadequate Cl production. This is my 4th season doing it this way with zero issues. Keeping my CYA around 70 allows me to run at 20%, thus preserving cell life. That's the plan, anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.