Cleaning Pool Issues - Wanda Whale

Jul 30, 2023
Memphis TN
Greetings from the VERY hot and muggy Memphis TN. We bought a house in November that had an above ground pool.

Got a Wanda Whale cleaner that worked fine for about 2 months NOW i got issues, boy oh boy. HELP!!??!!

I have been using WW with an in-line leaf filter to catch much of the debris. After a MASSIVE storm over a week ago and the pool filled with leaves and limbs wanda worked so well it clogged the in line filter causing the black send/return hoses to crimp and collapse on itself. SO, being the redneck thinker i am i decided to fix the problem with new HIGH PRESSURE hoses that have metal braiding in them.

No dice. Take a look at these two videos to show you how the new high pressure hoses are collapsing on themselves. They do this WITH the in line filter, without it and even when i am doing regular old school cleaning with the vacuum head on the long pole.

What on EARTH is happening and how do i fix this? At the moment i cant even use my old school filter without these hoses acting silly.

Video 1 w In line filter. Filter set to FILTER settings.

Video 2 withOUT in line leaf filter. Filter set to Waste

This is MY first pool as an adult (54). Growing up we had an inground pool (16). So its been a minute since i tinkered with pools.

This issue is taking the FUN out of owning a pool. After THIS issue is fixed i will have to throw myself to the mercy of the forums for being talked into a Perma Salt system. Seemed easy at first. My blonde wife is not convinced EASY is worth her having green hair......OOPS. Yeah, the salesman never mentioned that.

First things first, how do i fix this pressure thing happening when i vaccum? New hoses?

My pump reads roughly 17 on the PSI (?) gage when its just running in filter mode. I also replaced ALL the sand yesterday with the Ruby sand.

Any help and advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Denicio DelToro

Yikes. How does your system act without Wanda? Does your pump basket fill all the way up?

It acts 100% normally.

Pump basket has some debris in it but not a whole lot. After a storm the skimmer basket fills up due to my neighbors tree.
Sorry, I meant does your pump basket fill all the way up with water? You shouldn’t be seeing that much turbulence in the basket. I believe that means it’s sucking in a lot of air. Does it still do that without Wanda?

Sorry, I meant does your pump basket fill all the way up with water? You shouldn’t be seeing that much turbulence in the basket. I believe that means it’s sucking in a lot of air. Does it still do that without Wanda?

Under normal operating conditions my filter purrs like a kitten. Operates exactly as it should. Its when i introduce Wanda the Whale or even traditional pool vacuum that the filter acts this way and the hoses fold in on themselves.

I just got a cordless pool vacuum that is a game changer for me! Easily the best 130.00 i have spent. Wanda has now been retired and i wont have to use the traditional method of vacuuming ever again.

Glad to hear it! And I assume now that Wanda has been retired, your pump basket isn’t boiling anymore?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.