Cleaning cartridges

mike1331

May 5, 2022
Penna.
I have a Hayward cartridge type filter C3030. I cleaned the cartridges (4) with a hose several times already, probably eight times. The filter is about one year old. Is there a secret or better way to clean these cartridges ? Each time I clean them they last less and less time until the pressure builds up again. Thanks, Mike

Soak them first. You can either use Cascade dishwashing detergent powder (regular stuff, no special additives) OR you can use a mixture of trisodium phosphate (TSP) and bleach. It must be REAL TSP, not the eco-friendly garbage fake stuff that’s called TSP Alternative. Get a large garbage can (40 gallon kind) and put a heavy duty, large black garbage bag in it. Add the detergent and fill with water. Add the cartridges and fill until they are covered. You can use less water as long as tie off the bag so that the cartridges are fully submerged (like tying a bag of pet fish at the pet store). Let it sit for several hours. Let it sit out in the warm sunshine so the cleaning solution gets warm. Pull the cartridges and rinse them with clean water really well.

See if that helps to break up any embedded grease or grime.

Word of caution - be careful with TSP and follow instructions for use. It is a very caustic and powerful cleaner. It can easily damage painted surfaces, wood and aluminum.

Mike,

You've cleaned your cartridges 8 time in a year???

That does not sound like a cartridge issue but an algae issue, even if your pool is not green.

For reference, I clean my cartridges twice a year, but probably could go a whole year in between cleanings if I wanted.

I replace my cartridges after 7 years just because I got antsy.. It made almost no difference..

Something is not right.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have just about the same pool setup and I clean my cartridge roughly twice a month. My pool is surrounded on 3 sides with large oaks, cedar elms and an Arizona ash tree which is on the southwest side of the pool which helps bigly with the blazing afternoon sun. No single tree branch is long enough to actually overhang the water itself. they're about 4 to 6' back from the waters edge.

It gets unbearably hot here in central Texas and the trees make it possible to enjoy the entire back yard.

What I always do to clean the cartridge is I stand it up on the patio the way it was pulled out, give it a hosing, flip it end for end, another hosing and then I reinstall with it upside down from the way it was pulled. It comes out brand new clean and it's a small price to pay for the comfort the trees give out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Using a dishwasher is unnecessary. Simply soak them and rinse them with a garden hose spray head. Many people using the Filter Flosser have found it helpful for getting deep into the pleats.

https://a.co/d/gHoNKIl

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.