Cleaner gets stuck in sink hole

AnneRH

Apr 21, 2022
Houston
Hello,
For about 4 years now, there is a 2' dia, and 1.5' deep sink hole in 34' dia pool with a deep end in the middle. The sink hole is on the slanted part going down to the deep area. Probably from a tree stump that is finally rotting or got exposed when the deep end was dug many years ago. The liner is doing a great job of stretching, no leaks, and we even tried to blow in some material from the side of the pool into the side of the sink hole, which helped a bit but was disturbing to the liner.

The issue is that the robotic cleaner (aiper or pool rover) gets stuck in the hole. I tried filling 4" dia long tubes with sand to isolate the hole and also filling the hole with sandbags. Am curious what has worked for others to prevent cleaners from getting stuck in sink holes. I know to also shorten the cord/rope of the cleaner so it cant reach the hole, but ....

Thanks for the help and insight

Welcome to the forum :wave: :wave:

Interesting problem. Could you "fill" the hole with a custom cut piece of plywood or plexiglass and then hold it down with a lead weight underneath? It would take some skills (but manageable) to fit the plywood/plexiglass,

How big is the diameter of the indentation? What about filling it in with some sort of coarse sand that doesn't 'poof' when disturbed and using a large patch over it ? (Or sand / plexiglass / patch) It might get you a couple more years to the next liner change. Even if it sinks a little more, it won't be as deep as it is now.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to the forum :wave: :wave:

Interesting problem. Could you "fill" the hole with a custom cut piece of plywood or plexiglass and then hold it down with a lead weight underneath? It would take some skills (but manageable) to fit the plywood/plexiglass,
Thats a thought, especially if I covered the edges of the plywood or plexiglass with soft rubber. Unfortunately, the hole isn't consistent and is on a slant, but this is worth a try. Thank you!

How big is the diameter of the indentation? What about filling it in with some sort of coarse sand that doesn't 'poof' when disturbed and using a large patch over it ? (Or sand / plexiglass / patch) It might get you a couple more years to the next liner change. Even if it sinks a little more, it won't be as deep as it is now.
the diameter of the indentation is about 2 ft and on a slant. Trying to not put anymore pressure on the hole but perhaps coarse sand isnt much heavier than the water? I like the idea of covering it with wood or plexiglass with edges covered with plastic tubing and weighing it in place. thank you!

Reactions: Newdude
I like the patch idea - maybe even putting the sand in a bag or balloon that would be squishable and formable but smooth & clean to ensure a patch sticks well 🤷‍♀️ you’d wanna make sure you get all the air out (foodsaver maybe ?)
If you go the patch route you wanna make sure it’s a bit bigger than the hole/divot all the way around & using a circular shape instead of a square will help keep it from peeling up around the edges. Let us know how it turns out!

I like the patch idea - maybe even putting the sand in a bag or balloon that would be squishable and formable but smooth & clean to ensure a patch sticks well 🤷‍♀️ you’d wanna make sure you get all the air out (foodsaver maybe ?)
If you go the patch route you wanna make sure it’s a bit bigger than the hole/divot all the way around & using a circular shape instead of a square will help keep it from peeling up around the edges. Let us know how it turns out!
When it gets warm, I will give it a go! I am curious - your bio says above ground resin - do you still have a liner? I am not up to date with the latest tech and would love to have an above ground without a liner and center drain, if there is such a thing. Thank you!

I am not up to date with the latest tech and would love to have an above ground without a liner
The resin pools you read about have resin frames and/or resin walls instead of steel/aluminum. They all have liners.
and center drain
Some folks add them, although I'd stub my toes on it in an above ground so I'd hate it.

If you have one you can remove it at the next liner change. You don't need it.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.