Feb 22, 2023
Chicago suburbs
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all!
I'm a relative newby to pool ownership. I've had 2 soft sided pools that seemed very easy to maintain. Once we upgraded to a steel above ground pool I was suddenly having a lot of difficulty maintaining my water chemistry. I've been reading more on here and I'm most likely going to switch to the TFP method with liquid chlorine this year. It's definitely a mind shift but ultimately I think it will be easier/better once I get used to it. I've been all over this site trying to understand the relationship between CYA and FCl and was still having a hard time wrapping my brain around the higher recommended levels of FCl. I found this article that goes into a little more depth on why the higher level is necessary and even goes into a bit of the math behind it. (yes, I'm the nerdy type) It is an older article but I found it helpful. Maybe it can help someone else understand too? If anyone has other resources I can look into I'd love to see them. Thanks for the support and information already!

Welcome to TFP.

Richard Falk is known as @chem geek here and developed his thinking on this site way before that article. Some folks then picked up his work and propagated it. That new thinking was 10 year old thinking for those here. You can read his many postings in the Deep End and they are summarized in…

Also you may find these helpful…

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you!! I was searching for the further reading articles to better understand the numbers and recommendation but I wasn't having luck. Thanks for sharing. With this I'm hoping for a more relaxed pool season.

Thank you!! I was searching for the further reading articles to better understand the numbers and recommendation but I wasn't having luck. Thanks for sharing. With this I'm hoping for a more relaxed pool season.
Whatever you’re looking for just add “further reading” to the end of it in the search 🔍 bar in the top right

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.