CL Heliocol DIY install(solar)

You are right that unfortunately the smaller VS pump you got will not integrate into an automation controller.

Solar heating is best at higher flow rates. Although with only 4 panels they only need about 20ppm. You could run it as a single speed only when you have a need for solar. And run in VS mode in the winter.

You are right that unfortunately the smaller VS pump you got will not integrate into an automation controller.

Solar heating is best at higher flow rates. Although with only 4 panels they only need about 20ppm. You could run it as a single speed only when you have a need for solar. And run in VS mode in the winter.

Thats what I was thinking as well. Just run it in single speed march-nov.

Based on everything ive read the automated solar valve is a must to maximize the efficiency of the panels.

Before I got my controller, I ran my 2-speed on higher through the spring / fall and part of summer with the solar always on. Then ran on low in the winter and middle of summer when the solar was not needed.

Before I got my controller, I ran my 2-speed on higher through the spring / fall and part of summer with the solar always on. Then ran on low in the winter and middle of summer when the solar was not needed.

Hi Jblizzle - how many degrees of warmth were you able to add to your water during spring and fall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm using the Pentair SolarTouch controller. Even if it won't control your pump (and I don't understand why it wouldn't) it's still a bargain. $250 and you get a kit with digital solar controller, sensors for both water temp and solar panel temp, the control valve and actuator as well. Basically everything needed for a solar system but the panels and PVC pipe. The cost of the sensors, valve and actuator by themselves would be more than the kit.

You can get a Watts brand vacuum breaker valve N36 Water Service Vacuum Relief Valves, Vacuum Relief Valves, Water Safety Flow Control - Watts and a PVC pipe T with a 3/4 inch threaded side port on the T and connect it inline with the plumbing where is enters or leaves the panels which ever is appropriate for your setup (I would play it safe and install at the bottom on the panels by the inlet).

Ike

p.s. these valves can be found at Lowes, Amazon, etc.

Gotcha. Thanks.

I know there is debate about where to put the vacuum break... In the Heliocol install manual it is actually positioned near the pool equipment.

I am going to install it on the roof on the panels though. That's where it makes most sense to me anyways.

Just FYI.

Oh p.s. Parts ordered!

I put mine on the roof where the pipe feeds into the lower header. Kind of a best of both worlds location. The higher you go, the more flow / pressure you need to keep it closed. But having it on the roof lets the panels drain a little easier I think.

Is this the stuff that I need to seal the screw holes with???

fa86b2ef528a65ceb2da6a0530b24bb8.jpg

I think that will work fine, there isn't much risk of leaks anyway.

Thanks. I used it. Pretty sure this stuff will protect leaks just fine. It says on the bottle it is fine for dealing cracks and holes, flexible rubber sealant. 30 year warranty.

Anyways. Couple issues I had. My roof rafters are a little strange. They run parallel to the back of the house Towards the peak and then run the more traditional perpendicular towards the bottom.

31eab18271aaf2839b8012fb2c59308a.jpg

Bottom
f040524019777244b9e5b1995b5c87b1.jpg

Which is fine. I was able to match the header portion all on one rafter beam, and got the top gator clamps installed today.

0a58f079c5bb50d3a3bb48c5129ec92b.jpg

I will have to find the rafter on the bottom tomorrow and get those screwed in.

It's coming along but it's a slow process.

ee843760009ce534d2f5ca4fdfbbd803.jpg

Does not look you put any slope on them as is typically recommended. Although I suppose with the rafter the way it was, that may not have been possible.

Interesting spacing on those clamps ;)

I did not even both with trying to hit rafters. In fact the first year, I just had them sitting on the roof with the clamps held in place with a little mastic. But, my roof is flatter than yours.

Does not look you put any slope on them as is typically recommended. Although I suppose with the rafter the way it was, that may not have been possible.

Interesting spacing on those clamps ;)

I did not even both with trying to hit rafters. In fact the first year, I just had them sitting on the roof with the clamps held in place with a little mastic. But, my roof is flatter than yours.

Haha yep. Messed up the spacing. My ADD brain got in the way. Should be fine though, still managed 2 clamps per panel.

Your right. Because of the rafters I had to forgo the slope. Being in a hurricane area these things had to be secured to the rafters. I guess I couldve added some more 2x4s in the attic though and made the slope...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.