sbrazill

Jun 17, 2023
Washington state
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, I used citric acid to remove stains from liner and now unable to keep chlorine up. This was done a week ago and every 2 days the chlorine drops to nothing after adding shock. I have 24’ round above ground pool. How do I keep the chlorine up? How long until the citric acid dissipates? The stains are gone and the pool is crystal clear with good ph but just have to keep adding shock every two days.

Here’s the deal with citric acid - it’s about 3X more acidic than ascorbic acid and it takes a long time to break down from chlorine oxidation. So it’s really not good to use in a pool for stains unless absolutely necessary. Since you had stains you will now need to add chlorine very slowly and carefully so you do not spike the FC too high and cause the stains to reappear. But citrate is going to make that painfully difficult as you are currently experiencing it.

You need to add liquid chlorine every day to get yourself back up to a reasonable level and then you need to test frequently because the citric acid remnant is going to eat the chlorine up. You need to keep at this until the FC starts to hold better. There’s no easy way to know how long this is going to take so you have to be patient and diligent. I would also suggest you keep a careful eye on your pH and you target a low pH range of 7.2-7.4. Liquid chlorine additions temporarily raise pH and you want to make sure that doesn’t happen or else you’ll get stains again.

Reactions: sbrazill
Here’s the deal with citric acid - it’s about 3X more acidic than ascorbic acid and it takes a long time to break down from chlorine oxidation. So it’s really not good to use in a pool for stains unless absolutely necessary. Since you had stains you will now need to add chlorine very slowly and carefully so you do not spike the FC too high and cause the stains to reappear. But citrate is going to make that painfully difficult as you are currently experiencing it.

You need to add liquid chlorine every day to get yourself back up to a reasonable level and then you need to test frequently because the citric acid remnant is going to eat the chlorine up. You need to keep at this until the FC starts to hold better. There’s no easy way to know how long this is going to take so you have to be patient and diligent. I would also suggest you keep a careful eye on your pH and you target a low pH range of 7.2-7.4. Liquid chlorine additions temporarily raise pH and you want to make sure that doesn’t happen or else you’ll get stains again.
How much liquid chlorine should I add every day for a 12,000g agp when no chlorine is registering?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would add 50 ounces of 10% liquid chlorine per day until you see it holding or increasing. Try to stick to a tight schedule of testing and adding. This assumes that you still have some CYA (35-50).
I’m on Day #10 after citric acid and day #3 of adding 50 oz liquid chlorine every day as above. The level holds overnight but goes to zero by end of day. My CYA is just below 100. Keep at it and eventually will the chlorine hold?

Can you please post the EXACT product you out in your pool, maybe upload a picture of the front and back label?

Unfortunately there is not much information online about that product and what it contains. Haven’t found an MSDS yet. My concern is that it is not entirely citric acid and you may have added something to the pool that’s causing excess chlorine demand. Without knowing exactly what it is, it’s hard to say.

You can try SLAM’ing the pool to see if you can destroy whatever has been added but your stains are going to come back. If you don’t want that then all you can do is stay the course until whatever it is you added gets oxidized.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.