Circupool RJ 45+ Installation

The pool temperature finally got high enough for the generator to stay on for more than a few minutes. It's so exciting to see all those clouds of gas rolling off of the plates and the bubbles at the return.

My K1766 is reading 3400ppm of salt right now, but the SWG controller is bouncing around 2700ppm on the instant read and averages 3000ppm. Water temperature is about 51F.

Do I need to add more salt if the manual is calling for 3000-4000ppm? Is the salt reading affected by temperature?

Is my flow too low? My downflow configuration is running on low speed. The flow switch makes up, obviously, and the flow meter I installed indicates a bit over 25gpm.

Do I need to worry about gas accumulation below the plates? See this video:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our RJ45+ cell is mounted vertically too, and did not accumulate bubbles like in your video. The pool is hibernating for a few more weeks, not able to show reference pics.

It was hard to tell with how short that video was. Does the cell have water in it? It looks like the plates are "dry", meaning not covered in water, with the water level right at the bottom of the plates. If that is the case it should not be run that way. I've watched the video a few times, full screen and even zoomed in. To me it looks like it is making chlorine, hence the abundance of tiny bubble at the bottom, but the cell looks to not be 100% submerged in water. I hope I'm wrong and its due to not seeing the top of the cell and causing an illusion.

If you can show a video that includes the top of the cell that can confirm how much water is in the cell.

If the cell is not 100% covered do not run the system that way, it could cause overheating due to higher resistance.

Our RJ45+ cell is mounted vertically too, and did not accumulate bubbles like in your video. The pool is hibernating for a few more weeks, not able to show reference pics.

It was hard to tell with how short that video was. Does the cell have water in it? It looks like the plates are "dry", meaning not covered in water, with the water level right at the bottom of the plates. If that is the case it should not be run that way. I've watched the video a few times, full screen and even zoomed in. To me it looks like it is making chlorine, hence the abundance of tiny bubble at the bottom, but the cell looks to not be 100% submerged in water. I hope I'm wrong and its due to not seeing the top of the cell and causing an illusion.

If you can show a video that includes the top of the cell that can confirm how much water is in the cell.

If the cell is not 100% covered do not run the system that way, it could cause overheating due to higher resistance.
I see the same thing - that there's no flow through the cell. The plates should be covered in water 100% of the time.

+3 Beta. Check your valves and make sure you aren't sending flow to the waste pipe or stopping it after the filter.

There is nowhere else for the flow to go. It's hard to see in the video, but I believe the water line is at the bottom of the plates where the bubble starts - you can see it more clearly from the side view. I think the buoyancy of the gas is too much for the flow to overcome. It seems like the only way to resolve is going to be to replumb so that the cell is horizontal, at least if I want to be able to run at low speed.

Last edited:
In that case, you'd be better served mounting the cell in a horizontal run - and consider placing the cell hump in the down position. How much pipe is available in the horizontal run after the 90? You can install the cell after the 90 and the flow switch after the cell or wherever you have (relatively) easy access to the cell.

Reactions: Newdude
think I can make it work.
Before you do, because I'm not buying what our eyes are telling us, pull the cell and the union after the filter and run low speed. It will still be half a fire hose on low speed. If it's not half of a fire hose shooting to the right of the filter, then there is a blockage and low speed doesn't force enough past it but high-speed does.

Or block the return momentarily in the pool and see if the cell fills up. A smaller eyeball may fix it.

I'll try that.

The flow meter is just before the elbow down into the cell and it's reporting anywhere between 25-30gpm.

Wouldn't a smaller eyeball reduce flow?

Is it possible that the cell is TOO big and generates so much gas that the downflow can't overcome it?

Wouldn't a smaller eyeball reduce flow?
Nope. Think of sprinkler pipe or pex fittings. Over a small distance, the reduction doesn't matter. Not measurably anyway. But it would increase PSI, forcing the same water through a smaller opening. Possibly enough to fill the cell.

Reactions: MITBeta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.